Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

My carb runith over !

fishnwiz

Had a guy call me today regarding a starting problem with his 5212. Guy told me his carb was dripping and he had no start symptoms. I noticed fuel in the throat of the carb so I pulled the fuel line and pulled the bowl to check float and needle. Reset and hooked fuel line back on and turned key to start. ...mower started and killed. Carb flooded so pulled bowl, switched floats and needle valve, replaced bowl and turned key...engine starts and kills again....carb is flooded! Now I am frustrated. ...pull bowl and drain...check float..replace...start ...flooded AGAIN!

Next I drain bowl and turn the fuel line shutoff off and turn key to start...motor starts and kills with a gush of fuel into the throat! What the heck!! Its majic! Or...an engine block FULL of fuel from sticky carb float??.Pull drain plug and 1/2 gallon of gas pours out of the block!! Drain block and blow compressed air into dipstick tube and spark plug hole. Replace oil and hook fuel line up...turn key and PRESTO. All fixed!

Good thing this engine did not continue to run with gas in the block. Glad it did not blow up or catch fire.

It doesn't take much running with gas in the oil like that to seriously mess up rod bearings, cam bearings, etc. He will be lucky if there is no problems shortly down the road. This is why I always put a shut off valve in the line and use it. Nice catch and fix!

Steve

I repaired a Snapper a few years ago, took it home, cut a little grass before parking it back in their garage. Got a call a few days later asking what kind of battery it would need, as they ran the battery down trying to start it, and couldn't jump it off, either. I stopped by, turned the gas on, and it started right up. I cut a little grass so they could tell I had been there. Turned the gas off before I left.

Got another call because it wouldn't start. Made arrangements to meet them. Watched them try to start it. They had never turned the gas off, so didn't know to turn it on!

Had a similar thing last year...guy called me all POd about a rider I just fixed not starting...ran over to his place and found mower out of gas. Guy called me again with same attitude. ..ran over to his place AGAIN.mower PTO left engaged!...disengaged, started right up! This idiot took 4 months to pay me for the initial work he had done by me...what a winner he turned out to be!

quote:Originally posted by fishnwiz

Had a similar thing last year...guy called me all POd about a rider I just fixed not starting...ran over to his place and found mower out of gas. Guy called me again with same attitude. ..ran over to his place AGAIN.mower PTO left engaged!...disengaged, started right up! This idiot took 4 months to pay me for the initial work he had done by me...what a winner he turned out to be!

id="quote">
id="quote">And they never show remorse or ever say they're sorry

quote:Originally posted by goatfarmer

No good deed goes unpunished, Wiz......

id="quote">
id="quote">Why is that?? I never did figure that one out!

BAd thing about my job...I run what I call a "labor free" shop for retired widows and farmers. If I can fix something without buying parts, I charge them nothing, not even for pick up and delivery. I might trade for a few jars of jelly or other canned goods, straw, a quart of weed killer or ?.

The Snapper had been "tuned" by a local shop to the tune of $400.00.

They left the intake valve keeper in such a position as it came loose. Instead of taking it back, they called me. I was free. I didn't find out about the tune-up until after I repaired it, or I never would have touched it

Wow...you are very generous person.

I don't advertise and I don't make squat on my labor. I do all of my neighbors stuff free of charge and charge for parts only. I do service what I sell usually at a loss but I have a full time job that pays my bills and enjoy the challenges of working on tractors and power equipment and hope that I am rewarded in other ways when my time here on earth is done! 0:)id="size1">