Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

b112 no power on the ground

Aldon

My b112 is now steering fine, but has but no power to the ground. I was stopped in second gear trying to drive over a 5 inch mound of dirt that something in my yard keeps digging up. The engine does not bog down. There is no play in the BGB.

The Talentedmrgreen informs me "It sounds like other worn out variables I have had. Just make sure the ride home is downhill, or you will need to tow her back if up a slope."

Actually, I crawled up slope in first.

The question is, How do I fix this?

I'm assuming it is a variable speed tractor.

First thing is download a manual and go through all the adjustment procedures. Make sure the pulleys are not gummed up and can slide properly.

They can be a pain to keep adjusted properly, but when they are, they work pretty well.

Also, since it has been slipping, the belt is fairly crucial. It doesn't take a lot of wear or glazing to make them slip.

Somewhere, not long ago, someone posted about a minor mod that made a big difference, but I can't remember who or where. Might have been here or in the facebook group.

I found a manual in my collection labeled drive train. It has the full instructions for my B112 on how things should be adjusted. Just reading through it, and comparing with what I saw when I lifted the seat, I know things are not right with my tractor. A good cleaning, adjusting, and oiling is in order.

And if like most are worn out after 40 years of use. They can be rebuilt but takes some time and $$. Probaly needs a new belt as well.

Success! I cleaned her up, lubed her up, and followed the instructions in the drive train manual. Adjusted the brake, climbed on and took right off. Spent about 15 minutes driving over the mole hills out of sheer spite. She now goes up a 30 degree slope in third without slowing down. The engine doesn't even complain.

The belt looked good. It gets uncomfortably warm to the touch, but not hot enough you have to take your hand away. I believe that's normal.

Next step, fix the chisel plow!