Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

A-C 900 Series 48" mower decks

tml1138

Ok so I may have found another deck local to me for purchase. The guy says it's from a 914 Allis. My tractor is a 917H Allis. The mower deck # on mine is 1690502.

Doing some manual searches online lists five different part numbers for 48" mower decks:

As near as I can tell from parts list research, the stamped steel decks are the same for all of them (except the 1691138 which I found nothing on other than one 900 series manual listed it as a 48" mower deck).

It seems the parts installed to the decks, such as arbor shafts, are different, where 1690272 and 1690502 are more closely related, and 1691219 and 1291221 use more of the same parts. (Again 1691138 is the unknown.)

Does anyone know what the key differences are? Will the deck I'm going to look at fit my 917H, and will parts interchange between the two decks or am I bascially going to have two different mower decks that both work for the same tractor?

I see some have asked similar questions here before, but I didn't see any solid answers in those past threads.

Thanks much for any info!

i have never had a problem with decks but i can see your point the 1690487,1690502,1690272 have the same arbor #, but when i looked up one for th 918 sovereign i got a different # for the arbors i have about 4 sets and i have never had a problem.

i have never had a problem with decks but i can see your point the 1690487,1690502,1690272 have the same arbor #, but when i looked up one for th 918 sovereign i got a different # for the arbors i have about 4 sets and i have never had a problem.

One main difference between the newer decks with the splined arbors is the blade style. I believe the 1690502 deck uses flat blades. The 1691219 deck (that model was on my GTH-L) uses the "gull wing" blades. The blade adapters are different between the styles.

There are also older "deep pocket" decks, that when the deck shell is replaced with a newer one, the arbors are mounted on the underside to the deck with spacer ring. Download the manual for mfg #1685282 for more info.

The bottom line, when exchanging parts from different decks is to check the plane of the cutting edge of the blades in relation to the stone guard.

One trick to gain about 3/8" increased cutting height is to use the old flat blades on a "gull wing" deck (must also use old style adapters). Stone guard lineup is incorrect, but not too bad.

Ok so the data sheet for the 1685282 shows a date of 1/94. My mower deck is circa 1983 or 84 (bought new in 1985) and the seller of the 914 deck says his is old, he thought late 60's early 70's (except I didn't think the 900 series were that old).

I figure chances are, mine is the older deep pocket version and his is probably as well. IF the assumption can be made that the changeover to shallow pockets was near that date of 1/94. I'll have to check mine to see.

For manual search, see the 3rd sticky from the top of this forum:http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=123852Some pics of the #1690272 deep pocket deck:

IMG_4464a.jpg

IMG_4462a.JPG

The roller bar is wrong, PO had installed it.Pic of #1691219 deck:

48DeckDuringRebuild_0002.jpg

The pocket depth difference is obvious.

IMG_4464a.jpg.f7796b01c7dffa76fd0c0029c5344018.jpg

IMG_4462a.JPG.3501aa163b867866adf4308e3f65dd56.JPG

48DeckDuringRebuild_0002.jpg.3ae4ccc01ebe1fa1191b6685a3f820ad.jpg

Yeah I believe mine is the deep pocket. You can sort of tell from my signature photo. That's my 917 right there with the existing deck.

So let me see if I got this right:

Parts are all interchangable then, as long as you use the arbor adapter kit between the two types of decks? If you don't use the adapter kit, blade depth will not line up with the stone guard properly, but will still work?

Flat blades with non-splined arbors are on the older models, and gull wing blades with splined arbors on the later models, but still interchangeable as long as you swap both blades and arbors together?

You almost have it correct. Old, old decks don't have splined arbors; newer decks have splined arbors and 2 piece arbor housing. Older splined arbor decks have flat blades, newer splined arbor decks use "gull wing" blades. Old, old arbor pics:

T10Arbor_0002.jpg

T10ArborSpindle_0002.jpg

The spindle is Homelite or A/C 300/400. Simplicity spindles of same vintage had rectangular mounting plates. And for lots of pics of the splined arbors, etc see this post:http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=117904I haven't had issues with parts between the 2 types, most parts are common. As to switching flat blades for "gull wing" blades with splined arbors, beside the blade, you need to use the correct splined washer to hold the blade on. And if you review the above post, there's the centering collar or lack there of...

T10Arbor_0002.jpg.faedc89f007b21f684cd50bb5e98cd18.jpg

T10ArborSpindle_0002.jpg.28c4fe3924bc5a821e22df4299854490.jpg

Ok. I think I got it. The terms older vs newer being relative to the user. I consider my tractor "old", but not "old, old". Lol. It has the splined arbors/blades, as shown on the thread photos that you provided a link to. The light bulb went off when I saw the pics of the splined blades and know that's how mine are from the last time I took them off for replacing/sharpening.

Now to see what the seller has. His might be older and keyed arbors and I don't know what that will mean to me as far as interchanging. It would be nice to have like parts to have as spares, but I guess if his deck shell is better than mine, then I can at least put all my newer parts over onto his older deck. If mine is deep pocket, then I'm sure his will be too since it's supposedly older than mine.

quote:Originally posted by tml1138

Thanks. I'll look into this. Does anyone know why the manual search box isn't working here? It errors 404 for me.

id="quote">
id="quote">I find it depends on the TOD (time of day) accessed, since the main simplicity page, references yet a third server (archive) where the documents are kept, and that could be down for updates, when you are searching. If the 404 comes up before the three sample part/model # labels are displayed, Then the problem begins at the Simplicity server, not the club's.example - at 2AM (local) I get a 404, but at 10AM all is fine!Wayne

I went to the site directly and it worked for me. That's how I got my info that I've researched so far. I've yet to look at the sticky PhanDad mentioned.

I looked at mine today and it's definitely a match to the deep pocket one you show in the photo here.

I also talked to the seller and got the number of the deck from, its ID 1691219, s/n 003967.

Mine is 1690502, s/n 023445.

I now know they are interchangeable whole deck to whole deck on the tractors, but I need to research more what is different between the two.

He couldn't recall if it was splined arbor/blades or not. I'm going to see it this weekend.

As I mentioned above, the 1691219 deck uses "gull wing" blades:

48DeckDone_0016.jpg

The above deck has Gator blades, not OEM blades.I believe the 1691219 deck is "one" iteration newer than the 1690502 deck. IMO, it's a good deck to pick up. You'd have both styles of blades and blade adapters so you could use the increased cutting height trick.

48DeckDone_0016.jpg.e66bd329692dda45a54c3e55d7d8873a.jpg

Ended up being a bust. The stamped steel shell, which was the critical part for me, was junk, as well as the connections to the tractor were worn out. The blades and arbors seemed less sloppy, but just not the condition I'm after for an upgrade. Ah well...search continues.

BTW, the blades had a rise in the middle where they bolted to the arbor shafts. (I assume this is the gull wing style.) Mine are straight across. I couldn't tell if his had the spline, but I know mine do.