Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

1500 watt Generator

mwells

Hi guys! I'm working on a 1500 watt generator and I think the rectifier is bad, but I don't know for sure. Are there any service manuels for these generators? Are they made by the same company as the 5000 watt generators? I have the allis service manuel but it does not go into any trouble shooting. Also are parts even avalible for these anymore? Thanks for any help!

I thought the early ones were Pincor and the later models were Generac. Are there any #'s on it? I dont recall any from the one I had for a minute or two.

The best place to ask for generator help is http://www.smokstak.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=6 . There is a sub group for Generac. I work on old generators as much as garden tractors and could best help you off list. Is your manual in PDF? Pictures of the name plate and brush assembly would be helpful. Do you have a tractor engine turning the generator and at whst RPM.

The first thing I would check is the brushes; make sure they slide freely in the guide. The diodes can be checked using a Volt Ohm meter with a diode test feature.

When I hooked up my 4000W Pincor it was not making voltage. Did some reading online. Field coils can loose residual magnatisim. Look for "flashing" a generator. Used a plug in corded drill.

Worked for me, usual disclaimers etc..............

Manuel is not in pdf forum, just the allis service manuel for tractors and attachments. The brushes are clean and move freely, I have a voltmeter so 8 can check everything, problem is I don't know what to check and what it's supposed to read. There is no name plate on the generators, I will get some pictures tommorrow. Haven't trying flashing them yet. I will read up on that and give it a try! It's ran off the tractor, 3600 rpm is wide open but you set the speed for the load.

If the diameters of the pulleys on the engine and the generator are the same, then the generator would also be at 3600. If not, put a TAC on the generator.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got one to work doing the drill reflashing trick, but the other one still doesn't work. When I was trying to reflash it with the drill it acted like it was creating a back current every time I tried to turn the drill backwards while holding the drill switch on, it would get really hard to turn like a brake was coming on. The the generator that is now working never did this. Any ideas? Thanks!

quote:Originally posted by mwells

Well I got one to work doing the drill reflashing trick, but the other one still doesn't work. When I was trying to reflash it with the drill it acted like it was creating a back current every time I tried to turn the drill backwards while holding the drill switch on, it would get really hard to turn like a brake was coming on. The the generator that is now working never did this. Any ideas? Thanks!

id="quote">
id="quote">I think I should take the 'broken' generator, for a fraction of it's value, and free you of this headache! What are friends for?!