Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dav

engine painting

dav

I am at the point where I need to consider painting the engine. it was yellow at one time. now there are traces of yellow left on the lower part of the block but the fins are a redish rust coating-strictly superficial but still ugly.

there is no evidence of primer on this part of the engine.

should the block be primed before being painted yellow? if so, with what? I have seen no high temp primers at the box store.

I won't do the yellow paint until the entire motor is assembled. I do plan to paint the insides of the shrouds even thou they were not painted from the factory, just to protect against lizard pee corrosion (in Florida we don't have much of a mouse nest problem)

thanks, dav

GrincheyOne

Most engine enamels are rated to 500 degrees. Just checked my Rust-oleum paint shelf, and they have a "High Heat Primer" SKU #249340 UPC 2006618877 Call them at 1-800-481-4785. They have always been helpful over the phone. Check to make sure it is compatible to your finish coat. I also recommend that you do a sample piece to make sure you get your desired result. (the primer is a medium grey).

Wayne

THIS primer is rated "resists heat up to 2000 degrees F."

OkieGT
quote:Originally posted by RonSwanson

I had the engine in my Jeep rebuilt it came back as bare metal. I painted it with Rust-oleum engine paint with no primer. Five years later it still looks great.

id="quote">
id="quote">I agree with Ron on this one. I've used primers on high heat applications with mixed results, but the projects i've used just the high heat finish last the longest, I have used the high heat flat or satin then used high heat semi-gloss or gloss with good results, but I'm spraying real paint out of a gun with a reducer and hardener. I don't consider spray paint to be paint per se because of the ingredients they have to add to it in order for it to atomize out of the can. It really seems like a waste of time to paint something and then use the colored equivalent to whitewash. I know some spray paint must be really good though as the railroad uses it on so many of its rail cars and for years I can see the colorful designs really good.