Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

old busted 7117

oldbroketractor

Well first time to the forum and I brought an old 7117 to show my worth. This will be my first rebuild so I hope you guys will advise. Found the tractor sitting outside of a barn with tiller atached and got a great deal. Starting a large garden next year and hope this does the trick.

Without pictures we have a hard time believing anything on this forum, so post some!

Welcome aboard, the 7117 and it's variants are one of my favorite tractors.

John U

Welcome to our home!!

Don't be afraid to ask any and all questions no matter how dumb you may think they are. We have alot of guys who are experts on those type of questions! :D

Looking forward to seeing your progress and PICS of your tractor.!

I was under the impression that Kohler no longer supported parts for the KT17, series one or two. either way I would consider a 16hp briggs or kohler CI single as an inexpensive alternative (about 250-300 used)to a rebuild that may not be possible or advisable due to design flaws. If you want to go a little larger I think a Kohler M18 would fit nicely (about 300-500 used), and they are readily available. If you want to blow money like a drunk sailor you could go the Vanguard route, about 1600.00, Personally I would go with the 16hp briggs or kohler CI single, best money you can spend.

I agree with Burntime, after running a command in these tractors, I would run nothing else, Magnum twins and KT series 2's are good as well, but old and heavy. Personally it would be a shame to go back to an outdated single cylinder. And if you ever wanted to blow snow i've found the twins are much nicer especially if you drop in a Command 25 }:)

Well guys having a hard time getting photos uploaded. Don't worry I will not give up. Right now I am looking for some detailed photos of the carb hook up. Need proper linkage details for the kt17. Can you help?

Ray don't mind contributing consider it an investment into a great class of people and information. But I could be wrong. Nice pic.

I find a good used old single cylinder is the most cost effective replacement. Frame is already pre drilled for the singles as well as the opposed twin that was in it.

I am trying to get the 17 running so that I can test the hydraulics and the rest of the tractor. Replaced the Carb and the fuel pump but no fire at the points. Just ordered new ones and looking for a coil. Replaced ignition and solenoid so she turn over now. Guess I'll clean her up while I wait for the points.

The KT17 Series 2 is a fine engine, get it running and see what you've got to work with.

You can use a GM DR39 coil with a series ballast resistor for the coil. The DR39 coils are very cheap on e-bay.

John U

I don't recall seeing a weed cutter for a Broadmoor, but I could be wrong.

However, there are snow blowers for the broadmoors, the main body is very similar to the large frame blowers so I bet it could be done. :o

quote:Originally posted by oldbroketractor

checked out the dr39 John and looks like a great fix but what about finding the resistor?

id="quote">
id="quote">Ask for a ballast resistor for a '57 Chevy, it will work just fine.http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Ignition-Coil-Resistor/_/R-MPEICR13SB_0092650336Good luck,John U

Sometimes things fall in place, Thanks John for the info.

I was just looking to buy a coil for a 7119. Robbed a coil from another tractor to get it running and the KT coils are a minimum of $70 used and on up.

So how do you hook this up? I see the DR59 is a dual output, do you put a resistor inline with each spark plug?

quote:Originally posted by MikeES

Sometimes things fall in place, Thanks John for the info.I was just looking to buy a coil for a 7119. Robbed a coil from another tractor to get it running and the KT coils are a minimum of $70 used and on up.So how do you hook this up? I see the DR59 is a dual output, do you put a resistor inline with each spark plug?

id="quote">
id="quote">The DR39 coil is just like the Kohler coil. It has two terminals on the bottom side that are the primary. The resistor goes in series with the + lead going to one of the primary terminals, the other primary terminal goes to the points. It does not matter which primary terminal you use as + or -.Use a blade type quick connect on the ends of the wires to make connection to the primary terminals.The high voltage (secondary) goes to directly to the plugs. John U

dr39.JPG

dr39.JPG.86fbadfe1bb490fad6eb7902cbea272d.JPG