Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
OkieGT

Tiller Tines

OkieGT

I'm looking for some tiller tines for my white A/C tiller on the back of my 416, the tines I have are worn and dull, looks like someone has sharpened them and taken off quite a bit of material, look like knives, not tines. I thought someone on the forum had some at one time, wanted to check here first. Thanks

OkieGT
quote:Originally posted by Burntime

If you search there is a manufacturer that makes the same ones I thought. May be the 32... But if you can find the tiller used, its cheaper than buying the tines. Get ready for sticker shock!

id="quote">
id="quote">I dont think I want to spend good money to buy a used tiller knowing that for 300-500 I'd be getting "used" tines. I'm not really concerned with cost, I want new tines. My wife is always concerned with cost and everything she buys is junk. Every time I'm tempted to consider cost as a factor I just look at her recent purchases. However I would consider buy a tiller missing a few parts as a "parts" tiller, many tillers this age have substantial wear on the tines, those that don't are "keepers" or are 500.00, but it is a thought and idea, if a good tiller with nice tines came along, I would definitely have to consider it.

OkieGT
quote:Originally posted by Brettw

My understanding, is that some f the old Roto-cul tillers had the same setup. If this is true, sometimes, they can be found pretty reasonable, and some actually haven't had much use.

id="quote">
id="quote">But aren't there less tines on a roto-cul?

OkieGT
quote:Originally posted by Chris727

The tines for the 32" tillers are common and are available aftermarket. I believe the tines for the 36" tillers are Simplicity specific.

id="quote">
id="quote">Thanks Chris, That's what I've found out, about 12-14 dollars each times 16 tines, 195-225 bucks, but it is a one time purchase.

RayS

I more than likely have the correct set for 36" tillers that I can part with. I don`t have any junk, I scrap that. The roticul and 32" tillers use the same tines. As Chris said the 36" are different.

OkieGT
quote:Originally posted by GrincheyOne

I have some extra (used) tines (kicking around in a peach basket) from a 32".WaynePM me for photos

id="quote">
id="quote">Ray says the 32 inch tiller uses different tines, or am I confused as to what he said, thanks for the offer Wayne, I'll PM you when I find out

MrSteele

Or, you can do like I did on a set of old Merry Tiller tines. Weld hard surfacing on what is left. Build them up and sharpen. The tiller is about 50 years old, original hard surfaced tines. I have a bit newer one now, but the one I gave to my Dad which somewhere else in the family since he passed away, probably still has the hard surfaced tines. Mine will be a candidate over the winter