Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

weed cutter differences

CTD01

Picked up a weed cutter for my 2012 landlord. Did some research and saw that some people have used a snow blower hitch instead of the factoty hitch. Now my question is is my 990370 the same weed cutter as the 990448 for my 707 Broadmoor? Is it just the hitch thats different or is the whole weed cutter different? I also was wondering if I could mount it up to my inlaws 7119? Any input would be great. Thanks Paul

The 370 I had was for a Landlord type tractor. I put an electric clutch on a 7100 series and hooked the weedcutter up to it.Only mods I made to the mower were removing the engagement system on the mower and setting it up like a 7000 series snowblower with a static tension system.Heres an old picture of what I had from the Simpletractors gallery..

7114mod370.jpg

Yep seen that pic and was hoping you responded. I have an electric clutch I can put on it also so I will do that.now for the broadmoor....... lol

Most of the blowers for FDTs like the 2010, have the idler/tension pulleys set at 90 degrees on the hitch pulley pivots, with a straight run to the drive pulley on the blower. The idler/pulley pivots on the 990370 cutter hitch are set at an angle to compensate for the main drive pulley on the cutter being off center.

Either the blower or the cutter hitch will take care of the need or not within the hitch frame.

Sam, do you know if belt stops are needed with the electric clutch, and does that vertical pulley axis (called for with the conventual FDT front pulley), need to be maintained to minimize belt wear?

Wayne

Wayne, its been quite some time since I had that tractor and mower. I don't remember needing the rod type stops like a FDT blower would have used, but I think I had the flat stops or "keepers on the pulleys to keep the belt from jumping off the pulleys. I pretty much set it up just like a RBT snowblower from a 700/7000 series..

quote:Now my question is is my 990370 the same weed cutter as the 990448 for my 707 Broadmoor? Is it just the hitch thats different or is the whole weed cutter different?id="quote">
id="quote">

I am interested in this answer too. I had no idea there was a weed cutter for the small frame tractors.

I once had a piece of literature showing the Broadmoor Weed cutter. I cant say for sure, but I thought the Broadmoor one was a little smaller in width too, in addition to the hitch being different. Cant be sure though..

Here is a picture from somewhere on the net showing the mower with a Yeoman package...Looks like it is the same size as the Landlord one to me..however, it appears to have the Landlord hitch on it. ???...

yeoman_atch.jpg

Like other brochure pics, that one with an LL hitch appears to be erroneous. The 990448 weedcutter is the same as the 370 (40"), but uses a hitch like that of a smallframe blower. I was of the impression that if you have a 370, you can mount it and run it on your smallframes, using a blower hitch, but have never heard confirmation of this. The belt routing is what would make things tough. I don't see how the twist to a horizontal pulley could be made, from the tractor's LH PTO idler. I'm guessing this was also grossly underpowered in a smallframe application, which is why it didn't stick.

Yeoman PTO.JPG

The only other mention I have seen of the 448 Weedcutter, is in the Yeoman 616 & Broadmoor 717 manuals, where it is listed in the optional attachments section. It is not mentioned in the Serf manuals from that year.

Yeoman Parts.JPG

Broadmoor attachment list.JPG

Wish I could get my hands on a 448 manual...I would love to see how the hitching was arranged.

57e060d36eae7_YeomanPTO.JPG.f248a570bc2f3597ce866b45e4ed67af.JPG

57e060d38116e_YeomanParts.JPG.2d9bdd8322ca8e7284a46d4e426d78cd.JPG

57e060d395593_Broadmoorattachmentlist.JPG.ea8569d036a2e8a5324581cca593a650.JPG

quote:Originally posted by CTD01

I have a blower hitch for my 707 so when i get time im going to try it.

id="quote">
id="quote">I'm quite curious. I'd like to do the same, if I could get a minute to myself, and wrap up a couple hangnail projects. I actually need to use the Weedcutter, and got it down from storage to mount on an LL.

Back in the late 90's, I was talking to one of the Simplicity factory service guys that had started out in the Allis side of the lawn and garden back in the 1960's. (for those who remember, it was Tom) I asked him about the weed cutter that is listed in some literature for the Broadmoor. He says only one or two were made, then scrapped. That program ended when the program ended for the garden tractors. He confirmed it was due to safety - the lawyers advised them to cease production of the implement. Even in the 90's, he was a little hesitant to talk about the weed cutters. I pressed him a little, and he knew I was into the old tractors and that I knew a few things, so he opened up a bit about them. Makes me wonder if there was an injury and a lawsuit? Tim