Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New to me 7119

simplewrench

I came across a 7119 on C.L. pretty reasonable. The add said it had a weak engine so he quit using it. When I pressed him he said the rpms went up then it lost power so he parked it 4 years ago. He thought it was due to losing compression, sounds to me like a governor issue but this is my first Kohler. I got it home gave it a quick power shower, threw the jumper cables on it turns over and seems to have compression but haven't taken time to check it with a gauge yet. Just wondering if this sounds at all familiar to anyone here.

7119.JPG

7119.JPG.c89c9155eeeed16e53cf3c1a3baabdf7.JPG

I had the chance to spend a few minutes on the tractor before supper. I checked the compression 120# in each cylinder I filed the points then got the dinner bell. Going out to see if I have spark and hopefully see what it sounds like.

Just got a 7119 running (PO said no compression also) it turn out to be a bad ignition coil. These KT coils many times start putting out a weak spark instead of complete failure. If it is the coil get your wallet ready.

I got the new coil today. Installed it and the tractor started right up but it definitely has a governor issue. It revs way to high. Again this being my first Kohler twin I would appreciate any help or suggestions. The only thing I have found on Kohler governors is that they are set at the factory and shouldn't be user adjusted. Thanks Tom

With the help of others on this site I got the 7119 running like it should. after doing more research I took the side shields loose from the cylinder heads and it looks like I am the first one to do that since it was new. Some of the fins had gunk that was baked solid in between and there couldn't have been any air moving across the head on the right side. So hopefully it will be running cooler and last for a long long time. Anyone who hasn't cleaned behind there shields on a Kohler KT engines better take a look. It could save a life.