Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New Front Hubs For Deutz 1920

jimmy_g

Hey Guys! anyone here ever upgraded a DA 1920 or Simplicity Sunstar to a real honest to goodness front hub with roller bearings?. I have been dreaming of doing this for awhile now but would sure like to communicate with someone who has already done it. I searched the archives and didn't find anything (or maybe didn't know how to ask the right question!!.) I.M.O. this is the weakest link in a very durable machine....

quote:Originally posted by jimmy_g

Hey Guys! anyone here ever upgraded a DA 1920 or Simplicity Sunstar to a real honest to goodness front hub with roller bearings?. I have been dreaming of doing this for awhile now but would sure like to communicate with someone who has already done it. I searched the archives and didn't find anything (or maybe didn't know how to ask the right question!!.) I.M.O. this is the weakest link in a very durable machine....

id="quote">
id="quote">I've upgraded 5 tractors with 4 bolt hubs with 10 inch steel wheels and 4.00-10 tri-ribs. On one tractor I used a 4 bolt steel hub made for a small cart, it is NLA. I have upgraded 3 tractors that had spindles under 3.5 inches in length by using BMIkarts billet aluminum hubs with 1-5/8 sealed bearing, the hub was designed for sand rails and is available in a 3/4" or 1" bearings, with the same 10" wheels and tires. The last upgrade I used a dexter or shorty cast iron hub from a trailer on a Bolens large frame, but the one inch spindles were 4-1/2 inch long and could accept the cast iron dexter hub that features tapered timken bearings, I also used the 10 inch wheels and tires. PM or email me and I'll send pictures. BTW the only supplier I've found to have the 10" wheels is Jeds Wholesale Tire, I bought the tires from him as well and they came with super nice tubes with beefy valves stems

DSCF3783 - Copy.JPG

57e060d30d1ec_DSCF3783-Copy.JPG.8f12978e929623b4d7f607a34bd605df.JPG

quote:Originally posted by Brettw

Keep in mind overall tire height, as it will affect the mower deck and cut.

id="quote">
id="quote">Not if you buy another tractor just for mowing:D

quote:Originally posted by CarlH

Some of the later Sunstars came with automotive style front wheel bearings. You can find those wheels and axles used or maybe new from Simplicity.

id="quote">
id="quote">Carl is spot on, the early model Sunstars came with cheap looking bushings, rather than timken roller bearings a cone. I'm not sure if thats what your D/A has, but they aren't even available any longer, you could buy the late model wheels with the timken bearings, IF thats what your talking about, if your talking about doing a 4 bolt hub whether 8" or 10" wheel/tire, let me know.

I was not aware that they changed their front wheel set up.Mine has the two small press-in bearings but they don't last long especially with the blower hanging on it all winter then using the blade in summer and mowing a three acre yard. My goal is to upgrade to a real 4 bolt hub with a real tire,not too worried about raising the front height. I think mower can be adjusted to overcome that and I do have other tractors to mow with, just not with power steering and not as comfortable and.....

quote:Originally posted by jimmy_g

I was not aware that they changed their front wheel set up.Mine has the two small press-in bearings but they don't last long especially with the blower hanging on it all winter then using the blade in summer and mowing a three acre yard. My goal is to upgrade to a real 4 bolt hub with a real tire,not too worried about raising the front height. I think mower can be adjusted to overcome that and I do have other tractors to mow with, just not with power steering and not as comfortable and.....

id="quote">
id="quote">If you can go with the 10" rims/tires you wont be sorry, really feels like a big tractor and with the cast iron hubs the whole upgrade will make your steering and axle last longer

If you look at the parts manual, you will see that there were three different front suspension & front axle variants. At least one of them changed the spindles and front wheels to use tapered roller bearings. You will need to change the spindles, wheels, and bearings to work and it will also require a new steering arm on the top of the LH spindle as it went from a straight shaft with two keyways to a tapered shaft with one keyway. Lots of parts to change. Best bet is to watch Ebay or pick up a parts machine, but chances are a parts machine with those parts might make your existing tractor the new parts machine.

Chances are that the bottom of your spindles are flattened if the roller bearings ever froze up and the bearing rotated about the spindle. If they are still in good condition, you can buy a lot of the stamped steel roller bearings for the cost of what it will take to upgrade your front suspension.

http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=102965&SearchTerms=sunstar

http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=80198&SearchTerms=sunstar