Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

what kind of drill bit do I use

landlord2110

this picture is the upper pivot that tightens belt off the tiller & lost the retaining ring so tried drill 1/8" to use a cotter key, but was so hard broke all my bits. what kind of bit do I use?

000.jpg

000.jpg.2f47a25367ef2f3cf8a6b0cd2086505c.jpg

i think it wuold be so much better to buy another retaining ring for a dollar than to ruin a 6 dollar drill bit. It maybe the retainer is better, that's why the engineers used that design rather than a cotter

We have all been there. Sometimes the woods are in the way to see the trees...lol. I spent 45 minutes making a part one time, painted it to boot. Put it on the tractor and did victory laps. That night I got on ebay and saw it for 9.99 free shipping...lol.

I bought a large box of retaining clips, because many are used on old machines, when I run out of a certain size I replenish. I have been tempted to "re engineer" a part, but everytime I do, I find out why the guys with degree on the wall made it that way. My ex father-in-law tried to re engineer a piston shaft on a high pressure spray pump, when it blew it went throught the roof of the garage and landed on the homeowners car, causing thousands of dollars in damage. I keep telling my self I am not an engineer, I don't play one on TV, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. By the time I've finished that statement, I've gotten wise enough to either get into the car and go get the proper part or find out where I can buy it. I still make mistakes, just try not to make unnecessary little one, lol