Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
powersrp

blades lower than mower deck housing

powersrp

Does any one know why the mower blades are lower than the deck housing? Why would it be designed like that? Looking at the manuals, all parts are correct and prob original. If it sticks up the slightest bit my blades hit it.

RayS

Post a picture please. The front of the deck has a raised portion compared to the sides and the back. More than likely designed that way for the grass to enter more easily. I have both the 42" and 48" and neither have the blades lower than the sides or the back. Never really looked at the front, but I can.

The other day I sent you a picture of an arbor for your 7016 and 48" deck. That arbor was correct for your deck (if you have the correct deck for the tractor, that is). You stated that your deck used different arbors. So you must have the two piece arbors used on the later style decks.

PhanDad

Other issues I've seen from PO "maintenance":

On both regular and deep pocket decks with arbors mounted under the shell. And is a 2 piece arbor housing the same height as the old "tube" style.

As Ray said, need pics to really help.

powersrp

Ray. Yes two piece arbors mounting from the top. I did take. A couple picts, I'll try to post them. Blades are about even with sides and back of deck; bolts and! Washers are lo.wer than deck. I guess I have never owned a design like this, beit push mower or tractor, so I was curious.

MrSteele

Just did a bit of work on a 42" deck. The front lip of the deck is above the edge of the blades. Many mowers require this on their deck/blade arrangement, to allow the grass to be cut on approach. The late model decks for grass that doesn't need to be cut (mulching decks) are different, with the front lip of the deck at the same height as the rest of the deck and blades, to provide better lift for mulching.

Your deck might not be set up correctly, with the front being set too low. The blades should be level, not the deck. If your deck is level, you need to adjust the half turnbuckle on the front to raise the front.

Lower the deck to cutting position and check the blades. If they are out of level, lower in the front, adjust your deck until they are level from front to back