Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

70116 key to the problem

OkieGT

I've had this engine out 4 times trying to figure out whats wrong with it, and I hope I have found the culprit. After removing the flywheel the key way fell out and this is what it looked like, it wasn't even in there tight. Is this key way damaged or was the wrong keyway used? Thanks, and hoping this is it, after this I'll have to look at valves, but hoping this was the problem. Engine just wouldn't run tight, new carb rebuild, new points, condenser, coil, plug, plug wire, etc

DSCF3794.JPG

DSCF3797.JPG

DSCF3795.JPG

DSCF3796.JPG

DSCF3794.JPG.6a6f6c168c0730d4383465b305a18cc5.JPG

DSCF3797.JPG.34dceb6c9f518a1d2b7bbd389b5fb183.JPG

DSCF3795.JPG.b7f45b23bbddf1b6a91f42b23e4c0aa5.JPG

DSCF3796.JPG.8f1236007cb142ce1f99979067ed097e.JPG

hi mike its the right keyway its in need of replacing. id go ahead and ck the valves if your this far and set the coil bracket in the middle and bench run the engine.

quote:Originally posted by spyder400k

hi mike its the right keyway its in need of replacing. id go ahead and ck the valves if your this far and set the coil bracket in the middle and bench run the engine.

id="quote">
id="quote">Thanks, I think you're right, it will only cost me a head gasket and could potentially save me a lot of headaches. Thanks

quote:Originally posted by BLT

How do you install key? Book says to line up both slots, install key and then torque wheel to 145 lb ft.

id="quote">
id="quote">I've never installed a Key way. First time for pulling this flywheel or any Briggs flywheel, Kolers are just taped on, lol

Mike,

Just FYI This was the problem with my 7016 16HP Briggs, after having it rebuilt at the so called small engine repair shop down the road from me. About 2 mos. after rebuild engine would run fine cold, after warming up would run like crap adjusting carb, points trying other things could not get engine to run. Decided to take it back to shop were I had rebuilt, they went out of business.

Took to the Simplicity Dealer 40 miles from me, turns out when it was rebuilt they used the old worn out key-way for the flywheel,when engine got hot it would let flywheel shift putting engine timing off.

quote:Originally posted by ddoherty61

Mike, Just FYI This was the problem with my 7016 16HP Briggs, after having it rebuilt at the so called small engine repair shop down the road from me. About 2 mos. after rebuild engine would run fine cold, after warming up would run like crap adjusting carb, points trying other things could not get engine to run. Decided to take it back to shop were I had rebuilt, they went out of business.Took to the Simplicity Dealer 40 miles from me, turns out when it was rebuilt they used the old worn out key-way for the flywheel,when engine got hot it would let flywheel shift putting engine timing off.

id="quote">
id="quote">Thanks, funny thing is, I don't think this engine has run right since I owned it, probably why I got it for 400.00. I believe the PO hit a rock and never could get it to run right. It should be in good shape after I put the new key in. I put key switch, coil, and new carb kit in it and i don't think it had 400 hours on the tractor when i bought it last year, the guy only had a 1/4-1/8 acre lot, I also added a rear hitch and electric lift

....Some simple Nomenclature regarding KEYS....

Keys are Keys....

Keyway is the groove cutout in the Flywheel.....

Keyseat is the groove cutout in the Crankshaft.....

quote:Originally posted by Multiplicity

.....Some simple Nomenclature regarding KEYS....Keys are Keys....Keyway is the groove cutout in the Flywheel.....Keyseat is the groove cutout in the Crankshaft......

id="quote">
id="quote">I knew that, just a brain fart, well part of it anyway, did not know the key seat, I think it is good to use proper nomenclature to eep everyone on the same page