Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Landlord dies on slope or after 5 minutes

MrSteele

I am looking, still wondering. My Landlord dies on an easy 15 degrees or so slope. Never happened before. Have a new needle, float and several gaskets, torqued head, new points, condenser. Cranks up right after she dies, good fire on any plug or test screwdriver. \Any ideas?

Could it be running lean and it takes some time to clear the bowl. Try richening it up a quarter turn and see if it clears the problem. Otherwise could be fuel filter, crud in the screen of the tank, etc.

quote:Originally posted by Burntime

Brett, its a single 16...

id="quote">
id="quote">How do you know? the only thing I saw to indicate what kind of tractor it is was the word Landlord in the title. that covers a lot of years and a lot of tractors, BTW is it a horizontal or vertical shaft single, just wonder how you could tell??

Actually, I took the tin foil hat off long enought to read his telepathic signiture and sought the part of his brain that shows intense duress. There was the mental picture! OR...if you don't fall for that, I looked at his profile!:D

Originally posted by OkieGT
quote:
id="quote">

quote:

Originally posted by OkieGT

quote:How do you know? the only thing I saw to indicate what kind of tractor it is was the word Landlord in the title. that covers a lot of years and a lot of tractors, BTW is it a horizontal or vertical shaft single, just wonder how you could tell??id="quote">
id="quote">

From the early units until about the end of 1978, Landlord's were a staple popular model and all had horizontal crankshafts, magneto ignition. In the early 90's, the Landlord name reappeared, this time with vertical cranks and electronic magneto ignition.

I had problems with mag coils getting hot and loosing spark. Plugged gas lines in the tank or on shut off valve. Check spark right after it shuts down and put a clear filter on it to see if your getting gas flow.

Oh Yea Burntime, Thats Funny Sh**

Thanks. I took a well aimed shotgun blast, replaced the condenser again, polished the points, again, checked all grounds and wires that might ground(to and from points under the ignition cover), rewired the switch to make certain that wire wasn't grounding when on a slope, checked the fuel filter and replaced it anyway, replaced the gas line to and from filter. Then gave it a whirl. Rungs great, so something was wrong in that list!