Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Allis HB 212 help...

TFF

The more I search for an answer, the more confused I am getting. I was changing the fluids in my HB212, but I can't figure out the transmission. Looking at the tractor from the rear, I drained the fluid from the bottom plug, right side. I also opened the filler plug. What came out looked like thick oil, not transmission fluid. I took off a nut on the top of the tranny (had a spring in it) because I thought that was the vent nut and saw red transmission fluid. Two separate systems? I need to put fluid back in the bottom...is it SAE 90 or transmission fluid? Also, is there a relief valve/vent I can open so I can put the fluid in the fill plug without it spilling out? Thanks so much.

You should have the equivalent of either a 990500 or 990573 Simplicity tractor. Given that you can download an operators book by toggling to the top of this forum and going to the Simplicity site.

Yes, there are 2 separate fluid systems for your Vickers hydro tractor, the hydro pump/motor system and the reduction gear system.

The reduction gear system is accessed from the rear, the original fluid spec is SAE 90 oil. I believe there's a vent plug high on the right side of the tranny case. The fluid for the hydro system is accessed from the "tennis ball can" type reservoir in front of the tranny and under the seat pan. Original fluid was Dextron automatic transmission fluid (red stuff).

The third non-engine lube system is the BGB (bevel gear box ), located in front of the hydro reservoir. The original fluid is also SAE 90 oil.

Many folks have ran other fluids in the systems with, I believe, satisfactory results.

Great! Thanks - this helped a lot. The vent ended up being on the left side, just above the axle. Square nut, just like the drain and filler plug. I appreciate your replies!