Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

simplewrench

7119 governor

simplewrench

I got my new acquisition running with anew coil. But it looks like the governor is not working. It looks like I will have to pull the engine and split it in order to see what the problem is and fix it. I would really look I'm to use this beast to blow snow this winter. Is the governor gear a common issue with these engines? Or is there another common issue with the Kohler governor?

Brettw

Look to the Kohler manual for the proper way to set the governor shaft. You have to set the throttle at wide open so the butterfly is in the wide open position (when tractor is not running). Then with the governor rod loose from the shaft (so you can rotate the shaft independent of the rod), turn the governor shaft clockwise as far as it will go. Tighten the rod. Try that before you tear it all down.

Kohler has a great site and owner's and service manuals for free. The service manuals are very detailed and have all of the info for everything including complete tear down and rebuild.

powerking_one

Tom,

Some of the (probably earlier) KT-17's/19's were known as "governor-grenade" engines. The governor gear would let go/crack in half/break or whatever while running and if the operator didn't VERY Quickly intervene to slow the now super-overevved engine down, within 10's of seconds, a rod would let go usually "ventilating" the aluminum block. The current PN of the Kohler governor gear is much improved over the original. If yours does have a broken gear w/o a thrown rod, then be thankful that with a few gaskets, seals, gear, your labor time, you should be able to patch her up.

Tom (PK)

simplewrench

Thank you all for your participation and great insight. Thankfully adjusting the governor seems to have done the trick. I am very grateful for the fact that the gear wasn't broken and for the great family we all share here. Tom