Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

would you have bought it? updated info

Mike

I was at the best estate sale I have ever been to Saturday

they had a Cub Cadet lt1555 with 220 hours on it, I could have gotten it for 750, I regret not buying it, I think it would have been an easy flip.

I also passed on a dump cart for 20

It was a 25hp with a 50 inch deck looks like it's the slt1550 from the picture I took

Shoulda coulda....the downfalls of being a picker.

To me, that's what makes pickn so much fun.

If someone tells you they are a serious picker and tells you they never made a mistake or had any regrets....then there is no way they are a serious picker in my book!

I have found that normally you don't get a chance at a real bargin at an estate sale unless you are an early bird. Most of the time a good picker can and will jump at the real bargins. The only difference being that alot of pickers don't have a trailer or access to one to make a mower a worthwhile purchase. ...that's why I never go anywhere without at least 500 in cash (Tractor profit money) and a set of ramps in the back of my empty pickup bed because one never knows when your going to drive by that bargin of a lifetime being pushed down the driveway to be sold by the owner.

So to get you out of the market Mark, all we gotta do is borrow your ramps? Lol. I know what you mean, if you see a deal you need to pounce, because there are 5 guys behind you that will if you hesitate... I have missed out on some crazy good buys, but hey, it did not cost you anything...

Not me, not on a bet.Too often our want to make a little money gets in the way of our common sense. Around here on craigslist that is not a bad deal for a Lt1555, but I would never shell out 750.00 in the hope of making a hundred dollars or even two hundred, too many variables. There could be something wrong with the machine that you only find out when you try to sell it. 750.00 is a lot of money on an investment and investing into a late model Cub lawn tractor is kind of like loaning money to your brother in law, some people have a good brother in law, some dont. In my opinion it wasn't the risk of your hard earned money. One last note, if you did buy it and the deal went sour, if your married it just got 100 times worse. Practice seeing the down side as quickly as the up side and life will go much smoother

BTW, I did a search tempest search on the cub and found that 900.00 was a good price on them, many for sale for that price, and many sold for that. You can google the the tractor and see the deeleted ads price if it was in the title, many were, and compare it to deleted ad, it's cached. There were many for 1200-1400 but not flying off the shelf. One guy wanted 1950 and it didn't look any better than the rest. One thing was interesting most of the prices for theses tractors were either very close or the exact same price the closer they were to each other. I couldn't bring myself to buy a Cub or a deere, neither interest me anymore than silver family sedans, dockers or goatees, everyones got one or more.

I agree had it been a simplicity it would have been a different ball game. Never liked the look of cubs, front tires are too small or the rear tires are too big

I did score some great buys though, humminbird portable fish finder working for 20, brand new minnow pail for 1.75 and 2 12 volt on demand pumps f0r 5.00

Hey...to each his own!!

I am happy making 100 to 200 bucks any day of the week!

Heck I have made less then that on alot of deals.

I am not the person who needs to make a minimum of 3 times their money to be happy...IT'S mostly about the hunt anyways!

Seeing as I was not in on this deal 1st hand I can't say for sure if it was a hit or miss deal. I was just speaking of my own experience in the estate sale/pickn scene....no risk...no rewards IMO...but that's just me!dOd

quote:Originally posted by fishnwiz

I am happy making 100 to 200 bucks any day of the week! Heck I have made less then that on alot of deals. I am not the person who needs to make a minimum of 3 times their money to be happy.Seeing as I was not in on this deal 1st hand I can't say for sure if it was a hit or miss deal. I was just speaking of my own experience in the estate sale/pickn scene....no risk...no rewards IMO...but that's just me!dOd

id="quote">
id="quote">I'm not against making money, but if you had to put in 3000.00 a week to your company to get back 3750.00 would you still see it the same. When I throw out 750.00 its not going to be for making a couple hundred dollars, or being a used cub cadet dealer, It feels kind of dirty when you turn from being a collector restorer to a used mower salesman, it doesn't work for me, besides the schmoos that buy these sorry new mowers want a lifetime guarantee from you and call your home/knock on your door when they break it, nope I could never sell to the public, there would be too many "injuries"

I look at it this way. A 18hp command is worth 600, the deck is worth a few hundred. The clutch, etc..then the scrap. If you needed a motor you could get it down to a pretty cheap price. Its all in what your after. There is no "one size fits all."

BTW, Mark, can I borrow your ramps?:D:D:D

For what its worth, I'm a kohler guy, but am not impressed in the least with the Kohler Commands, I'd rather have the Vanguard. My friends 18hp Command blew at 134 hours, he always serviced it and it was full of oil and had a fresh filter on it when it blew. Cub said 134hrs was a ton of hours for a two year old machine. I think the real cubs, not the box store cubs, are a pretty good machine, That said, I would never want to invest in or peddle used newer mowers of any kind. I've worked on them if their engineering weren't so pathetic, it would be funny.

I am proud to be a used mower salesman and the money I have made has not only paid for every tractor in my own personal collection but pays my storage fees as well.^ Selling used mowers makes this hobby affordable to me and also challenges my mind with many different repair scenarios.

I am proud to be a tractor flipper as well as what alot of people would consider a serious tractor collector/restorer with 20 plus tractors.

As a side benefit to others my flipping habits have gotten a large volume of used and some rare parts into the hands of fellow collectors at very reasonable rates so if being a tractor flipper somehow makes me less of a collector so be it...I can live with that! dOd

quote:Originally posted by OkieGT

I guess we need a "stick your chest out smilie" lol

id="quote">
id="quote">Hey Michael, say the word and I will swim over and drop my ramps anytime you need them! Better yet, I will drop the trailer off...you can get more in it!

flipper.jpg

flipper.jpg.cabb690dea7fdf82f06ce6c9829fb07b.jpg