Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
powerking_one

KT-21 Kohler in tractors/other applications?

powerking_one

Just some historical background questions here in the KT series of engines; it looks like Kohler pushed the envelope of these (most typical KT-17 & 19's) to to the KT-21. Does anyone know of these engines applications in tractors, welders, generators, etc? The complete gasket set PN looks to be the same across all 3 platforms. It would seem this variation was a "white elephant" and saw very few production numbers. To me, the KT-21 is like what the OHV K-361 was; a failure. The wrist pin diameter is different/larger in all 3 variations and with the rod journal being 1.500". So the KT-21 is a punched out bore to ~~3.325". Has anyone dropped in one of these say into a 7117? I'd imagine the power increase/performance would be quite noticeable. See the link below for more specifics:

http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/tp_2043_a.pdf

Tom (PK)

OkieGT
quote:Originally posted by Brettw

I also do not believe any of the KT 21's ever made it to a becoming part of the Series II line, only the 17's and 19's.

id="quote">
id="quote">I tried to google that Brett and I couldn't find it either, I really thought they made a QT21, but after looking at my manuals, I saw they included the KT21 in the manual with the KT17 and KT 19, I think I confused KT with QT. i still don't know of ANY tractors with the KT21, wonder if any skid steers used them.

rokon2813

I found a few references to Ransomes using a KT21 but not any real info.

A bit about Ransomes being owned by Jacobsen at the time (Ransomes-Jacobsen), and some other references to Jacobsen-Cushman

So maybe you could look in those directions ???

OkieGT

I also do not believe any of the KT 21's ever made it to a becoming part of the Series II line, only the 17's and 19's.

id="quote">
id="quote">BTW Brett, the KT manual, does include the KT21 as a series 11 engine

OkieGT
quote:Originally posted by midnightpumpkin

As I read it, the manual covers KT17 and KT19 Series II and KT17, KT19, and KT21 original series. No KT21 series II.John U

id="quote">
id="quote">Yeah, I'm not sure about that, but that's the way it reads, but that means there were no KT19 series 11 engines, but how can that be. I was under the impression that the series 11 came out in 1980-1981, would that mean they didn't put series 11 engines in later 919s or that they didn't make the 919 after a certain date? The same can be said about the 917, obviously they put series 11 engines in the 917, so did they just stay with the series 1 for the 919 or did they stop production of the 919?

OkieGT

There were KT19 Series II engines. There were Not KT21 series II. John is correct, the service manual for the KT series will support his statement.

id="quote">
id="quote">It looked like he was saying there wasn't a series 11 KT19, still having some problems with my eyes