Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Adding a tab on an old style rear lift

rich_kildow

Ray made me an AWESOME 2" receiver hitch about a month back, at which point I realized I had an old style lift arm, not the newer style with the hole below for a a sleeve hitch style. I'd like to see how others have remedied this. The obvious is a plate welded on with a hole in it, but I'm not sure where the placement of the hole should be to balance travel and leverage. Or maybe I'm just over thinking this.

About 3-/1/4" back from the 1/2" crossbar center line and 1-5/8" down from the 1" mounting tube centerline and a 3/4" O.D.X 17/32" I.D. and 3/8" thk weld spud for your lifting eye. You might have to drill out your lift plate part to accommodate the spud with a tack weld. The mount plate piece is flush on the LH side of 1" tube.

rearlift22.jpg

I just weld a tab with hole in it to the brace plate to the side of the tube. Never weld to the tube, as it will shrink the metal and you wont be able to insert the implement rod into it without reaming it out somehow.

Done several successfully like that.