Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

using a simplicity 700 and a 707

thirdjoker

well- heres the question? .I have a john deere that is only 2 years old -cuts great- just don't really care for it. I want to sell it. I like the older stuff. I already have a 1966 707 and have a chance to buy a 1959 or 60 700. what issues would i need to be aware of if i used them every week to mow.I only have about 1 acre at most. I have no problem with doing preventive maintenance. thanks.

If you have no problem with preventative maintenance, and you 700 has been owned by a like-minded person, then all you need to worry about is fuel. ;)

The 700 is a time tested mower. If it has the original engine, as long as it has been taken care of by the PO as Josh stated, you should have no problem using it on your property. The deck bearings would be another concern that I would look at with a keen eye and listen closely to them. If the arbors or spindles wobble with play...or if the deck howls or growls with a loud noise when blades are engaged, you may have bearing issues.

My suggestion to you would be ask to put a little seat time in at the sellers home...make sure it shifts clean and smooth in and out of gear. Run the mower throttle up and down the power range and see if engine runs smooth. Ask seller to not start the mower before you show up so you can hear and see a cold start. Then run the deck on and off and listen for loud bearings.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

i've watched the videos on you tube twice. and probably wouldn't have thought to check the spindles. Sound advice given and taken. thank you both. will update, simplicity's are much harder to find here. Not much to pick from,and priced higher too. I'm envious when i see $ 2-300 tractors with attachments that you guys find regularly.

Regarding parts and accessories, if you are in need of something, be sure to run an ad in the classified section of this site 1st as there are guys who have extra stuff that they may part with. Also, Ebay can also be helpful at times.

well. we could not agree on a price. He was firm at $500. looked good,engine smoked,hard to start,both axle shafts worn and leaking, steering gear worn-4 inch of movement in steering wheel before linkage moved,king pin bushings really loose,tie rod hitting on frame bottom,front axle mount bolt hole had almost an inch of movement when i jacked it up. tires loosing air and generator auxiliary terminal only had 4 volts.both 700 emblems broke. I offered $250.