Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Trying to rekindle a spark 7016H

OkieGT

I replaced the coil on my 7016 and the epay guy had listed 298968 and 398811 as the same part number, but when I looked it up in my manual it says one is used after a certain serial number. Long story short (ha ha) the coil I have on there has a little button on the underside, but the coil I'm supposed to have doesn't show this button. Heres' what is doing, I only get momentary spark after I let of the starter, but doesn't maintain it. I have the engine out. My date code is 7811171, its a 326437-0252-01 16 hp. I believe I have the wrong coil, any one have any ideas???? Thanks

quote:Originally posted by JJ MARSHALL

coil# should be 298968if your engine has the SGJJ

id="quote">
id="quote">The manual says it is the date code, because of the 4 alternators used, rather than just or only the S/G vs geared flywheel starter. Thanks for the confirmation, I know that ignition module part number 398811 was used AFTER serial date code 81073100 and ignition coil part number 298968 was used before serial date code 810733100, my serial date code is 78111711. Thanks again, seems to be an area that is not well known (late 70s parts). All over epay sellers are using the two part numbers and selling the two parts as interchangeable. I honestly believe epay is a criminal organization because when I tell them of outright fraud they do nothing, only when the police are called do they do something and that is usually deny they knew anything, they know a lot, they derive money from fraudulent sales and sellers.

quote:Originally posted by JJ MARSHALL

coil# 298968 was for motor with pointscoil#398811 was for motor with out pointsJJ

id="quote">
id="quote">Thanks a bunch, not sure my service/parts manual specifically says that is the difference, but that makes sense. Is the fact that I have the coil on there for a pointless (ha) ignition (398811) the reason I'm only getting a small amount of spark when the starter is disengaged and the engine winds down?

Mike,

Even though you provided the model and type codes for this engine, what is more important is the date code numbers; this decides whether or not it came with factory Magnetron ignition or not. Also, if the block machined area where the points/condener would be situated is without the various holes, then that would confirm it is factory Magnetron system. You could have an ignition switch mis-wiring/short problem with the tractor. The 5-pole ignition switches came in typical 2 varieties; "M" terminal to ground in off position for solid state/magneto ignitions; "I" for battery points/condenser systems; hot in "run" and "start", but OPEN in off position.

Tom (PK)

quote:Originally posted by powerking_one

Mike,Even though you provided the model ane type codes for this engine, what is more important is the date code numbers; this decides whether or not it came with factory Magnetron ignition or not. Also, if the block machined area where the points/condener would be situated is without the various holes, then that would confirm it is factory Magnetron system. You could have an ignition switch mis-wiring/short problem with the tractor. The 5-pole ignition switches came in typical 2 varieties; "M" terminal to ground in off position for solid state/magneto ignitions; "I" for battery points/condenser systems; hot in "run" and "start", but OPEN in off position.Tom (PK)

id="quote">
id="quote">Tom I posted my date code two post earlier 78111711, and I did replace the switch but I already was wise to the switch difference. thanks a bunch for the reply

Sorry about that Mike; I was reading too fast between the "lines"; JJ was correct in the points/condenser coil PN 298968 "assuming" no one had the flywheel repolarized for a Magnetron coil. My bad...B)B)

quote:Originally posted by powerking_one

Sorry about that Mike; I was reading too fast between the "lines"; JJ was correct in the points/condenser coil PN 298968 "assuming" no one had the flywheel repolarized for a Magnetron coil. My bad...B)B)

id="quote">
id="quote">No problem Tom, I have good days and bad days with my eyes, I know exactly how that happens, just glad to have you here posting and adding your expertise