Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3300-3400 series Simplicity gray paint schemes

SmilinSam

I read several inconclusive archived posts on this, but will tap on the subject again here.

The 3300 series RBT's had both white and gray hoods and both white and gray wheels.

The 3400 series RBT's also had the same.

I personally remember Soveriegn 3300 and 3400 series with both gray wheels and gray hoods.

Also have seen Landlord 3300 and 3400 series with white wheels and white hoods.

Also have here right now a 3310H Landlord with gray hood and white wheels.

Correction, Just got done cleaning wheels and they are originally gray like the hood, with a owner repaint to white.

By white, I mean the sort of off white or cream white.

I was told by an old dealer long time ago that was in business when these tractors came out that the gray was introduced at some point and was not well received and then discontinued prior to the end of the 3400 series run.

One question is - Did the gray start with the 3300 series? , or somewhere in the middle of the 3300 series production run?

Another is - When the gray was being produced, was it only the Soveriegns that had the gray wheels? While the Landlords had white?

or Did the Landlords have some with gray wheels too?

Just putting this out here to see what develops.

Incedentally, I have found the new Rustoleum Pewter Gray #7783 id="red">to be a real decent off the shelf spray can color for the gray. Not perfect, but really decent.

Will post pictures when I get the tractor together later towards next weekend.

I've never seen a 3300 or 3400 series with any white on them but I've only been messing with these tractors for a couple of years. I thought the white came back with the 7000 series.

If you look over on Simpletractors here: http://www.simpletractors.com/Main/simplicity.htmLook at the original literature for 71, 72, and 73...While the whites on the 3300/3400 series was not the brilliant white the 7000 series had, it was still white compared to the gray found on those tractors too.Here are some links to other archived topics on this subject:http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=122982&SearchTerms=grayhttp://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=109494&SearchTerms=gray,paintThis one has a picture of a original gray hood, showing grey under the decals aside the white overcoat..photo courtesy of bobjhttp://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=109494&SearchTerms=gray,paint

hood4.jpg

Thanks Sam for the pewter grey info, I also have a 3416 Sovy to redo. Its my only one of that era and its grey w/white wheels but may not be oem wheels???

Interesting subject, I'll be following...I like the grey color, nice contrasting color sm01

quote:Originally posted by PeppyDan

I know it doesn't help much but I have a used spray can of the original Simplicity Gray Enamel & the part number is 103217.Dan

id="quote">
id="quote">The number doesn't help, but the can does, it can be used to match more of the color, even if it wont spray out it can be safely removed and color-matched in an industrial alkyd or polyurethane implement enamel

I have a 1971 3314V that was originally grey. A 1972 3415H that was originally grey and a 1974 3314S Baron that is and originally white. All have the pod headlights.

Here are some pictures of the 3310H I am currently working on. The Gray is Rustoleum Pewter Gray #7783 as mentioned above. Just a hair grayer than the original simplicity shade, but for off the shelf spray cans it sure isn't too bad a match in my opinion.The Red orange I used this time is Rustoleum Chevy engine red orange #248947. This isn't as bright and crisp a color as the Duplicolor chevy engine red, but it paints a whole lot easier and more forgiving than the Duplicolor.

DSCN0331_zpseee2702d.jpg

DSCN0332_zps089087f6.jpg

DSCN0337_zps1d25a8cc.jpg

DSCN0333_zpsab9b37d9.jpg

DSCN0336_zps45165bde.jpg

Don't know what you guys think, but I really like these colors. Way better than the white hood, wheels and bright AC orange paint job the previous owner gave it.

I like the colors, but I don't like to put the effort or money into rattle cans when you can buy a quart of the same rustoleum for under 10 bucks and add a few ounce of thinner and hardener and make it last for years even in sunlight, You can't buy 2 rattle cans for 10 bucks, I spray 2 whole tractors with a quart, less mess as well if you dial it in, almost no overspray

Very nice job Sam!

I find the Rustoleum rattle can paint has held up very well over the years, but I keep my tractors under cover when I am not using them.

John U

The restore we did on my SIL's 3415 had a different color still on the hood and wheels. It wasn't the gray I see you have on the tractor above, Sam, it was more of a tan/green/grey combo. We found an off brand paint that matched almost exactly, as could be determined from the underside of the hood and the exterior, and the areas under the headlight pods. It was called Desert Beige as I recall. I couldn't find any greys that even came close in rattle cans, however, I have seen many the color that you are showing above. I wonder if they tried something different still, in that time frame.

quote:Originally posted by OkieGT

I like the colors, but I don't like to put the effort or money into rattle cans when you can buy a quart of the same rustoleum for under 10 bucks and add a few ounce of thinner and hardener and make it last for years even in sunlight, You can't buy 2 rattle cans for 10 bucks, I spray 2 whole tractors with a quart, less mess as well if you dial it in, almost no overspray

id="quote">
id="quote">You can get the Pewter gray in quarts, not sure about the engine red/orange, but I assume so. I've sprayed quarts too, and you are right(though when on sale at Menards, I can get almost 3 cans for $10), but for my "quicky" paint job purposes, the spray cans are more convenient.

quote:Originally posted by Brettw

The restore we did on my SIL's 3415 had a different color still on the hood and wheels. It wasn't the gray I see you have on the tractor above, Sam, it was more of a tan/green/grey combo. We found an off brand paint that matched almost exactly, as could be determined from the underside of the hood and the exterior, and the areas under the headlight pods. It was called Desert Beige as I recall. I couldn't find any greys that even came close in rattle cans, however, I have seen many the color that you are showing above. I wonder if they tried something different still, in that time frame.

id="quote">
id="quote">Sometime it would be great if you could get a picture of that one and post it here.

Very nice Sam. I like that paint scheme a lot, and you don't see too awful many of the 3310H's. A one-year machine, correct?

I had an old dealer tell me they were considered to be underpowered when coupled with a hydro, but I took a good look at one for sale locally a couple years back, and with a 36" blower, I couldn't tell any difference from the power of a B-110 or similar machine.

quote:Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen

Very nice Sam. I like that paint scheme a lot, and you don't see too awful many of the 3310H's. A one-year machine, correct? I had an old dealer tell me they were considered to be underpowered when coupled with a hydro, but I took a good look at one for sale locally a couple years back, and with a 36" blower, I couldn't tell any difference from the power of a B-110 or similar machine.

id="quote">
id="quote">JUst like cars during the same time period, up selling on horsepower, by the latter 70s most garden tractors brands were quickly abandoning the single cylinders

quote:Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen

Very nice Sam. I like that paint scheme a lot, and you don't see too awful many of the 3310H's. A one-year machine, correct? I had an old dealer tell me they were considered to be underpowered when coupled with a hydro, but I took a good look at one for sale locally a couple years back, and with a 36" blower, I couldn't tell any difference from the power of a B-110 or similar machine.

id="quote">
id="quote">I think one year. We have run across a few of these. Most are worn out like this one was. A friend of mine has one that could be a museum piece. Owner bought it new and rarely used it for anything but pulling a trailer. Deck was like new.This on is actually my kids. He hasn't done anything with it but let it sit for around 5 years now. I figured I would use up the last of my spare parts and revive it so I can at lest run it when I need to move it.Engine was a smoker, gear box was shot, tranny leaked like a sieve..wrong colors, front axle was completely worn out, etc etc.I am installing a good Briggs 16, and its now been up-fitted to a Sundstrand hydro and cone clutch pto. Even saved back a near nos muffler, also added the headlights with new satco 1970 bulbs for about $6 or so each shipped.Needs tires, but unless I take ownership, the kid can buy those later.