Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Alternator question

NthrnNYker

The 16 HP Briggs on my A/C 616 Special (same as the Simplicity 5116) recently gave up the ghost, and I repowered the tractor with a 12 HP L-head Briggs...works just fine.

That said, the alternator output of the old engine was a Dual-Circuit---meaning one leg of the output (AC) fed the lights, and the other leg of the output (DC) charged the battery.

Now, the new engine has a tri-circuit alternator output --- meaning that it has only one 28v AC output...incompatible with the electrical system of the tractor.

I did a bit of research and came up with this : http://www4.briggsandstratton.com/miscpdfs/RNT/alternator_replacement.pdf

From what I can tell, I would need to use a single output Briggs 734360 Regulator/Rectifier to obtain a 12v DC output, and then split (splice) the output to both of the inputs at the wire-harness of the tractor......meaning that now 12v DC would be delivered to the lighting circuit of the tractor...where before the lighting circuit used to use a A/C electrical supply from the alternator.

Is this correct ? Will this work properly ?

quote:Originally posted by JimS

If compatible, you could transfer the stator from the 16 HP to the 12 HP engine.

id="quote">
id="quote">Very true....unfortunately, I don't have the flywheel-puller.....It would cost far more for the puller than the $15 the rectifier will cost on Ebay :)

I made my own flywheel pulled out of a short length of 2 inch angle iron 1/4 inch thick. I measured the distance between the holes and drilled them in the angle iron. One side fits Briggs and the other side fits Kohler.