Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
bigcat19

Kohler KT17 Flywheel crankshaft diameter question

bigcat19

Can anyone tell me what flywheel crankshaft diameter is on p/n 5202519 I found a flywheel on dbay from engine spec # 24146a.

Here's a little more info:

Model # for both engines is KT17s and the engine I removed from my A/C 917 Hydro spec # 24131a with flywheel p/n 5202515 per the parts look up.

The reason I'm asking is I had to replace the crankshaft and crankcase due to camshaft failure while previous owner had it.

I didn't think about the crankshaft size being different until I went to install the flywheel and it doesn't fit as my original crankshaft and flywheel measures 1" and the crankshaft that came with the block I used measures 1 1/8".

So now instead of ordering another $50 worth of gaskets and having the original crankshaft turned down and buying new connecting rods I'm trying to locate a 1 1/8" flywheel.

RayS

ktcr.jpg

spec. no. 24131 uses crankshaft part number 52 014 06spec. no. 24146 uses crankshaft part number 52 014 17not sure if this helps. The diagram list the dimensions of the crankshaft. It should help determining the flywheel dimension. At least I would think.

ktcr.jpg.7ac2017fa453d8086474bd23836db27b.jpg

bigcat19
quote:Originally posted by RayS

Here`s the reference manual. It may have more information.http://www.cpdonline.com/drl/QuickReference/Kohler/Crankshaft%20Manual%20TP-2179-B.pdf

id="quote">
id="quote">Thanks for the info Ray. Hopefully the one I found works out after looking at this closer tonight. Thanks, Brandon

bigcat19

I'm thinking the block and crankshaft I got are from a JD lawn tractor due to what I'm finding on dbay for parts. Looks like JD might have ran a bigger flywheel taper/shaft end in the KT17.

powerking_one

I would seriously doubt that Kohler (and like other small engine mfgr's during the time period and currently) would have ANY reason to alter the tapered flywheel end crank spec's Unless there was an engineering design flaw of some sort warranting a needed change. Perhaps you had a mental moment referring to the Flywheel end of the crank VS the PTO end of the crank like RayS shows in an earlier response??

Tom(PK)

OkieGT

There were over 70 different Crankshafts in the K301 and K321s, Probably 50 in the K341, In the reference manual Ray posted a picture from, there maybe a dozen different KT17 crankshafts, Personally I think the engine may have been from a Wheel Horse as the engines that sat sideways tended to have smaller diameter cranks, like the JD 200 series

powerking_one

Mike,

I think you missed my point ABOUT THE FLYWHEEL END specs/dimensions; a generic K-241 10HP 1966 Cub Cadet engine flywheel would still fit a late model K-341 1990's crankshaft's taper. No doubt there were lots and lots of PTO end crank specs from all the "big-4" suppliers out there.

Tom (PK)

OkieGT
quote:Originally posted by powerking_one

Mike,I think you missed my point ABOUT THE FLYWHEEL END specs/dimensions; a generic K-241 10HP 1966 Cub Cadet engine flywheel would still fit a late model K-341 1990's crankshaft's taper. No doubt there were lots and lots of PTO end crank specs from all the "big-4" suppliers out there.Tom (PK)

id="quote">
id="quote">Yeah, I'm not sure I understand about the taper, I thought you were talking about a tapered crank, I think you maybe talking about the taper up in the shaft?