Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

2 stage a sovereign or ????

dave7016

So in the last few years I've had a pretty nice snow setup. Sovereign with 18 command and 42" blower with a soft cab. It works well. Last season I ended up doing our entire private drive all winter instead of just my 80' section.....about 1/2 mile. The unit works great but we get huge drifts at times 4-5' high. I need something that can throw further. Anyone know of a 2 stage setup that actually works? I found a bercomac 40" cheap but have no idea how much modding it'll take to get right or if it'll ever be right. Anyone ever use the 52" single behind a powermax. There is one locally too. Otherwise I may see myself with an older ariens with there 48" 2 stage. Ideas and help needed.

I would recommend the Ariens, no modifying that might turn out poorly, no driving backwards looking over the shoulder for 1/2 mile :-(. The Ariens is a shaft drive unit that will blow snow 40 feet

The 52" Powermax blower is a front mount unit, not a rear mount. That's a big'ol blower! The nice thing about it, vs the newer 2 stage units, is the added height. A 2 stage will chew through drifts (or anything for that matter) with more ease, but when it's taller than the blower, you're simply going to have to backup and go again, or risk getting stuck. I moved mountains (literally) last winter my my 2 stage Berco, and it does throw substantially farther than a single, but had the same snow depth limitations as any similarly sized blower.

I actually had to concern myself with 'aiming' that unit...it throws so far you can get into trouble with distant obstacles. Heaven forbid you pickup a decent sized rock, ice chunk etc. They make for some long bombs, or very scary line drives. My blower doesn't have any sort of guard or screen for those as I've seen on some walk behinds.

As soon as you leave your place, and begin venturing down the road, you take on the liability of damaging something other than your own. Just something to think about..I had a few scares when I took my machine around to help folks dig out.

Hitch is the same. Just belt length. I am not a fan of the 40 inch 2 stage. Chain is exposed and bearings wear out. If I had my way, I would get an ariens 48" 2 stage and mod it with a right angle gear box, then blow baby blow!

Josh,

If at my age If I can remember last week, let alone last year. I believe you were boasting how far you could launch Piles of Puppy Pellets into the woods, and were getting great enjoyment from the sound of them smacking the trees!4i

W

The further it throws the better! I gotta talk to the farmer that owns the private drive I live on. He has a 6' blower but it doesn't work well with the tractor...blower is for up to 50hp tractor is over 70hp and it's smaller than the width of the tractor. Last year the driveshaft flew off it about 40'. Luckily not at my house!!! I have no issues blowing the drive....but I don't have an endless supply of cash to due his drive.