Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Powermax transmission problem

bpatter

While moving some dirt with the blade, I drove through a dip and the blade caught in an are of hard dirt. The tractor will not drive forward or backward. What might have broken, and what is involved in fixing it?

Additional information

The hydraulics are not the problem. The blade raises and lowers just find. I can hear movement inside the transmission case when I try to drive the tractor.

It could be a number of things but first verify that it will not move in any of the three gear ranges in the transmission. From there I would jack up the rear tires and see if they move with the hydro controls. If they do then I would suspect the splined shafts going from the transmission to the drop housings. I have replaced one set and have another tractor with the same symptoms as my first.

dan

I have verified that it is the same in all three gears. When I idled the engine all the way down, it barely crept backwards, so I can guess the wheels will spin when I get to trying it on jacks tomorrow.

For a person with experience, how long would the job take. The brakes are also shot, I assume due to the usual Powermax oil leak. How much additional time for that. I'll adjust for my own level of (in)experience.

I don't think I have an output shaft in the parts stash that came with the tractor. Will I be able to find parts on ebay?

If it moved backwards with the engine at idle that sounds like something different. If it was a mechanical break somewhere it would not move, period. At least that's my feeling.

Brian,

I know on my brother's 4040 which had about 1500hrs on it, when he removed the drop axle housings, the female-female bull drive gear couplers showed very significant spline wear. These are NLA (I think). Perhaps this is another example of the other design/longevity problems (like the disc brakes for example on these) that might be causing this problem (a stripped spline)? The 3-speed gear transmission itself is pretty reliable overall. Just throwing this out there.

Tom (PK)

I have a neighbor who is a retired navy machinist. He is going to tear it down and take a look at the drive problem and the brake problem.

Given two or three months, what are the odds of finding new or used parts that I need. I'm well aware that a simple thing like a missing spring or gasket could kill the whole job.

quote:Originally posted by JimS

Sounds like you may have snapped one of the differential output shafts.

id="quote">
id="quote">Those shafts don't snap, but the splines wear to the point of failure. Most likely that is the problem.John U

Some of the hydros have a pin in them to drive the trans, but the hydro lift will work. You might have sheared this pin in the hydro drive. yes you can still get them, if needed I can give you a place that has them in stock. This happen to me when I had one roll off the trailer at 20mph

MidnightPumpkin guessed correctly that the splines were damaged.

Can anybody help me find new axles. I also have an ad posted in classifieds. Is there anything else I should be looking out for while my machinist works on the axles.

He says he can make new ones, but I'd rather not get into that.

Johns the man to talk to on these! Make sure you change the seals with the double lip seals and also the o rings. Use lock tight on the three housing bolts as well. As for the brakes, you will have to cook the oil out of the pads before putting them back in. Also the foam dust pads are still available at small engine parts warehouse. The prongs can be gotten there as well. The seals are available at napa. Having done several of these I could now do one in a nice afternoon . Good luck to ya, Paul

quote:Originally posted by Paulcurtis3

Johns the man to talk to on these! Make sure you change the seals with the double lip seals and also the o rings. Use lock tight on the three housing bolts as well. As for the brakes, you will have to cook the oil out of the pads before putting them back in. Also the foam dust pads are still available at small engine parts warehouse. The o-rings can be gotten there as well. The seals are available at napa. Having done several of these I could now do one in a nice afternoon . Good luck to ya, Paul

id="quote">
id="quote">