Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

4041 hydro problem fixed

ka9bxg

Took some time today and worked on the 4041 had problems that the tractor would creep when stopped. Never knew what direction it would go. Turned out that the bushings on the control rod were gone. Had some brass stock in stock so made some new bushings now that problem is gone along with the no charge problem turned out to be a bad rectifier. Was a good day for fixing.

I had worked on this problem for a while. I felt very unsafe with the way it was working sometimes it would not move in neutral and other times it could move forward or reverse . I had replaced the bottom bushing last year it did help some but not all. Thought it was the hydro pump causing the problem. Glad it was a cheap fix now all I have to do is get a new voltage regulator and get the charging system working. I still have fun working on these tractors but do want them to work right and safe.

• 3 months later...

Yes I did get the charging system working on 2 tractors both were the regulators 1 had a broken wire and the other was bad but did have a spare. Now I have a problem with the fuel pump leaking got to get a new one from friend .