Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mower Deck Won't Pick Up Leafs

914-allis

I have a trac vac vacuum system that came on my deutz ultima that is driven off my rear pto and it works great when cutting the grass put for some reason the 48 inch mower deck wants to blow most of the leafs away from the deck in stead of pulling them under. What can I change to make this system work for gathering leafs. Thank you

Maybe try a different mower height? Is vac running correct speed?Never had that problem with them picking up leaves. With rear blowers, we always used high lift blades to help lift grass and leaves.

Yes the blades are on the right way and if I go any lower with the deck there won't any dirt left in my yard. Today I removed both pulleys from the vacuum and I replaced the main drive that the pto runs from a 5 1/4 to a 6 1/4 and I went from a 5 1/4 to a 4 1/4 on the vacuum side and friday I will test it out to see if there is more suction from under my deck. Thank you for taking time to replie.

Mine only does that when its full (or the hose clogged) The vac should create a negative pressure under the deck if its pulling properly..? Is the deck boot made for a 48" deck?, OEM?, otherwise I would try it with diff blades, blade speeds, vac speeds, etc...I've heard of guys putting a band/skirt around the deck edges. But I try to keep it OEM

Good luck sm01

Right now the vacuum won't pick up leafs in large enought amounts to plug any thing. Don't under stand why the deck has so much air coming out from under it that it blowes the leafs ahead of the deck and it has the right boot for a 48 inch deck. The new vacuums have both 8 inch openings coming into the vacuum and leaving them. Mine hasa 7 inch going from the deck to the blower and a 6 inch going back to the cart.

All good suggestions. I've never run it with the belt on backwards as it has immediately thrown the belt everytime I've done that, but I would imagine it wouldn't work. Setting the deck lower has worked wonders for how clean it gets the lawn of leaves. Even just a 1/4" made a huge difference last year and reduced the amount of dust I got kicking up from the deck.

I put a heavy piece of sheet metal with a 90% lip about 1/4 in. on the front of my deck. I set it just below the level of the blade

it helps and it also keeps a lot of dirt from blowing out the front.

i made some other mods but not to the deck,i'll post pictures

if anyone is interested.

I would start back with the basics...

make SURE the vac/blower and mower is turning the correct direction, verify all hoses & trailer vent screens are clean, mower blades are not upside down...etc.

it HAS to be some little thing like this. Did it work in the past for you or is this a new setup?

I vac up tons of leaves every year. I use a 42" deck for vac duty & 48" for mowing. Its a bit harder for the vac to keep up with the 48 if the leaves are deep sm01 2c worth

I changed the pulleys on my trac vac and that took care of the deck blowing the leafs a head of the deck in stead of pulling them under. Now my vacuum is runing faster and causing more suction and that takes care of that problem. I want to thank every one that helped with different ideas that I did check out. Dale

quote:Make sure the belt to the deck is on correctly. IF the belt is flipped over, the blades will run backwards.id="quote">
id="quote">

The Deutz Allis 1900 series do not have a belt going to the deck, they have a PTO shaft they runs the deck. So there no chance the blades will run backwards.