Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
EdFromMason

Carb questions

EdFromMason

Ok I took my carb apart on the 7016. All of the parts have a build up of some sort on them and the needles look like they have groves on the points. How do I test the float to make sure it is ok, How do I know what rebuild kit to buy. On one of the rods going from the engine to the carb there is a spring that the rod goes thru. Need to know what that hooks to. Should I rebuild it or buy a new one. Seen some new ones that look a lot like mine for around $50-60.00. Any ideas? O yah it is a briggs motor if that helps. Old man winter is a knocking and I need to mow one more time and get it ready to push............. Well you know. I just don't want to be the one to say it.

MrSteele

You can use a spray carb cleaner to get the build up off. Or, if you intend to play with more engines, invest in a gallon of cleaner to submerge the entire carburetor for cleaning purposes. For submerging, you will also need a decent air compressor to remove the cleaner.

That spring connects to the linkage on both ends of the wire linkage it is wrapped around. The engine end hooks through the same hole as the wire, the carb end sometimes has a hole in the throttle shaft adjacent to the wire hole. If it does not, slip it in the same hole as the wire. The spring cushions the abrupt response of the governor to keep it from revvig high and slowing to idle quickly

EdFromMason

Yup I looked a bit closer at them They are new but.................the person listed the wrong photo with the wrong carb. The correct price is $175.00-250.00 depending. I did not ask any more about them. He said it was a old ad and thought he fixed it.

Thank you any way. Have a rebuild kit on the way.

rokon2813

For you guys that break down and buy new carbs, I had a buddy tell me you can get it about 100 bucks cheaper if you buy a bottom, a top and a rebuild kit separate :o

I have not looked up the parts to check his figures. :I