Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
chesnut84

intermittent spark

chesnut84

I just picked up a 3414s and it doesn't spark all of the time.with the plug grounded on engine I only get an occasional spark while cranking the engine. Any advice would be great. Coil? Points? Flywheel?

fishnwiz

Sounds to me like Mike said...corrosion on the points. Use a little emery or fine sand paper and cleanup the points. Make sure you blow out the area when done with a little air....points must be clean with no grit. Also make sure there are no rodent chews in the plug wire closer to the engine where plug wire could be shorting against the engine block

chesnut84

update: i have since cleaned the points, and have a good consistant spark. but now i am having a fuel issue with the carb. It will only run if i manually pour gas into carb. I have had it off and cleaned it. i took the tank and lines off and them seem fine as far as flow goes. Where could i order a rebuild or aftermarket carb. Any suggestions?

1978Simplicity7016H

I had the same problem with my B-10. I sanded the points but it still sparked occasionally. I put new points on it and it fired right up and ran like new. The only thing is it smokes like heck, but has excellent compression.