Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

My Sovereign Turning 40

DanD

Last week I made a tongue in cheek post about throwing a birthday party for the engine in my Sovereign since according to the date code on the engine (7410081) it will turn 40 years old on Wednesday. Well, today I mowed with it and had a few minutes recorded. My father bought this tractor used in 1985 or 1986 and used it exclusively until about 2001. At that time the engine was so worn out that it would run but didn't have enough power to simultaneously turn the blades and move the tractor..you had to pick one or the other. So, at that time he bought a new Prestige. However, since the old Sovereign was much too good to junk, I completely rebuilt the engine at that time..had the cylinder bored out .020 and put in new piston, rings, rod, crankshaft and bearings. I also got all of the proper shims to set endplay correctly on the crank and camshaft. I have also since replaced the points plunger and bushing and replaced the top half of the carburetor since it was so worn. It hasn't had a lot of running since that time and since the overhaul has pretty much had either Mobil 1 or Amsoil small engine oil in it. It doesn't use any between oil changes. I think it will be running for a long time yet.

Here is a link to the video.

I'm sure it'll go another 40 years. Thanks for sharing the video.

I see it picked up and A/C seat somewhere along the line.

And how many of the front lights still work?

I think the AC seat is probably original since it was built at the time that AC owned Simplicity. At least it's been on there as long as I've been around it. Still has the selling dealer decal on it too.

All 4 of the headlights work. I was going to turn them on but forgot. I can take a pic later and post it.