Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

engine for a 7119

CTD01

Well i gave my 7119 with a kt19 series II to my father inlaw he used it for the summer to mow and he said the engine blew up yesterday. I knew the series I were know to blow up. So my question is where do I get an engine and what kind of engine should I put in. I know parts are hard to find and real expensive to fix the kt19. I dont want this to happen again either. Any help woul be great.

try and find a kohler magnum 18 or 20 hp they will bolt right in with a little grinding to make the oil filter clear, or if you can find a 18 hp kohler command.those are the best ones i can think of good luck.

Old Briggs single cylinder 16HP engines are also an easy install.

And WOW, the asking price is $2400 for the NOS KT-17 Mike listed above! A new Command can be had for 60% of that price. I guess if you want a new original engine, then you have to pay the big bucks.

Yea Im not sure what im going to do yet. How hard was that vangaurd to install tom45? I paid like 400 for the tractor I cant justify spending more then that for the engine lol.

Installing the Briggs Vanguard was not too bad and the engine seems to have more torque than the KT17. They included a mounting plate, drive shaft adapter and muffler with the kit along with a relay to keep from changing the ignition switch. You have to furnish a new choke and throttle cable. I changed the ignition switch rather than add the relay, added an elbow to the muffler outlet, and faced about 5/8" from the drive shaft adapter to give more clearance for the muffler. I also bought a oil filter mount from them which required adding some clearance on the left side of the frame.

Tom

Tom, if the briggs feels more torquey, its either because its the Clean car syndrom of new paint, or the kt was just that tired. Briggs twins in general have less torque where the Kohlers are stroked more. The good news is because of this the briggs are smoother.

i do have a 3415 with a good engine. I might swap that in because it wont cost anything. My question is what is the difference between the 15 hp and 16 hp?

quote:Originally posted by CTD01

i do have a 3415 with a good engine. I might swap that in because it wont cost anything. My question is what is the difference between the 15 hp and 16 hp?

id="quote">
id="quote">Nothing . They are both 32 CID engines and capable of 3600 RPM. More then likely it was a marketing thing. All maximum HP engines at their maximum operating RPM have a guaranted power output within 5%. So it is possible that you could almost 17 HP out of it, but you'll never know unless you bench test it under factory conditions. All you should worry about is that it will get the reasonable height grass cut and chuck a favorable distance without slowing the engine down. And forget about torque, it doesn't do doodley SQUAT when it comes to effective mowing grass or blowing snow.

Paul,

Good luck with the swap. I'm certain that you will make it look easy. It was a pleasure to meet my first club member in person. You have a humbling collection and vast knowledge & experience.

Thanx, Dave

And forget about torque, it doesn't do doodley SQUAT when it comes to effective mowing grass or blowing snow.

Granny Hawkins couldn't have said it much better. :)

Bob, doesnt the torque help when the engine lugs? Thats where I notice a big difference, as well as the command being snappier if that makes sense.

Ron you hit nail on the head. Just went there pulled plugs and the right cylinder was full of gas. I have had the crank case fill up with gas once before and it had a piece of dirt in the carb. So im guna drain oil clean carb and hope he didn't bend a rod.

quote:Ron you hit nail on the head. Just went there pulled plugs and the right cylinder was full of gasid="quote">
id="quote">

Now that's what I call "flooded".:o)

Yea goin to have to. Again I gave it to my father inlaw who thinks hes a mechanic some times and makes stuff worse by touching it. Im going to have to tell him always keep hiseye on oil also.