Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

darn hard startin

oldbroketractor

My 7117 started like a dream but now I have to crank and crank. Rebuilt the carb but didn't replace the needle valve. no help. Had gas in the crank and never had that before either. Changed the oil and installed a shut off. Need a good carb re builder, any suggestions?

If your getting gas in the crankcase, its very possible the fuel pump has gone bad. When the pumper diaphram fails, it can let fuel into the crankcase thru the vacuum line that powers it. Not sure where your at, but find one of your local small engine shops, they should be able to rebuild the carb. However I would check out that fuel pump first. If its pumping gas into the crankcase, then its starving the carb for fuel, along with letting the fuel prime(fuel between pump and carb)drain into the crank when the tractor sits. Mike

Did you replace the points and capacitor? Did you check the point setting (it will move slightly when you tighten it down)? All of this presuming that it ran before you started "fixing it".

Hello, My 7117 was like that, I replaced the points & new plugs & plug wires , still the same. I then added a electric fuel pump and It starts better now . Someone else thoght that a valve job would help.

Thanks Ken in Mi