Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
rich_kildow

Turn key and it just chatters...& corrosion

rich_kildow

Went to start my 7116 for the first time in a few weeks, during which it had a tender on the battery, and it just chatters. The noise is coming from right under the key and behind the dashboard, and I can feel it knocking on the dash. Do I have a bad starter relay?

Also, I noticed the battery has some blue-yellow-green corrosion on the positive terminal. I've never seen anything like this before, usually just the white powdery stuff. Does this indicate anything?

B10Dave

Rich; you will have to clean the corrosion from the battery posts and cable clamps. Relay is chattering because it isn't getting enough voltage and current flow from the battery. There may be moisture on your battery top aggravating the corrosion issue. Clean battery and cable ends with a warm water/baking soda mix. It will foam up and clean very well. You should disconnect cables and dip into the solution. Rinse everything with clean water after cleaning and make sure it all dries well.Check the output of your tender also as it may be overcharging and causing acid vapor to affect your connections. Good luck with your problem...Dave

fishnwiz

There also is a spray can of battery terminal spray that you can buy that you use to coat the positive and negitive terminals.This spray will help to reduce the amount of corrosion.

steve-wis

When I am done cleaning battery terminals, I put vasaline on the posts before putting the cables back on, and then cover the cable ends with it after they are on tight. This prevents the corrosion from starting. Been doing this for years and it works great.

Steve