Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tracy1326

Deutz Allis 917 driving slow and running hot

Tracy1326

I'm a single female with little tractor knowledge so bear with me. I purchased a Deutz Allis 917 hydrostatic in June. So far I've had to replace the fuel pump, coil, points, and spark plugs after having various engine problems. Now the engine runs really hot, within 2 minutes you can't touch anything under the hood and this past week it has started driving about a third its speed on flat ground and barely makes it up a minimal slope. I replaced the drive belt and it seems fine, but now I'm at a loss. Any suggestions? If you could explain things like you were speaking to your wife or daughter rather than your mechanic, that would be helpful :) Thanks

mtoney

If its getting really hot under the hood, I would have the carburator looked at, sounds like its running lean. That would cause excessive heat from the engine/exhaust. Also an exhaust leak could also do this as well as a mouse nest under the engine shroud. The carburator is something a trained mechanic will need to look at. Most places have pickup and delivery service. I would get the tractor into a small engine shop and let them get it running correct. Running hot isnt good for the tractor. If you lived in my town, I would have you contact my shop in the morning and schedule a pickup for repair. Mike

Ronald Hribar

Did you replace the parts yourself ?

Is there smoke coming out of exhaust ?

Was the fuel pump leaking?

Was oil changed ?

Air filter clean?

Motor will run hot

Is it running hotter than when you bought it

Tracy1326

I replaced the fuel pump and spark plugs myself, the rest was done by a Kohler engine mechanic.

I noticed smoke once when I turned it on.

Fuel pump was not leaking but I replaced all that stuff bc it was shutting off after a few seconds and that was a recommendation.

Did oil change and replaced air filter.

I don't remember it getting that hot when I got it, but I've had so many problems I couldn't really say.

Ronald Hribar

Does the clutch pedal come all the way back

You can check by looking at drive belt

The idler pulley should be putting pressure on the drive belt

Also make sure your parking breaks is not on and band is not dragging on pulley

powerking_one

Tracy,

I would check the cooling system for restriction; that being the cylinder/head fins and the sheet metal baffles. Mice love to make "condos" in air cooled engines like this. Unless the tractor has been/is stored in a critter proof structure, these little guys can wreak havok with overheating "problems". Sometimes, the engine has to be removed to do a thorough cleanout :(

Tom (PK)