Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

tire fit to original wheels

RedRock

Thanks. I may have a chance at a set of ag rear tires and ribbed front tires tomorrow for 225. This info eases my mind about making the deal.

I am not sure of your question. You speak of tires, wheels, and the response was about rims. Tires sizes for our garden tractors are stated as, for instance: 23 x 10.50 x 12 The 23 is the approximate outside diameter of the tire,inflated. The 10.50 is the approximate width or cross section of the tire, inflated. The 12 is the diameter of the steel wheel, or as some people call it, the rim that the tire is designed to mount on. The width of the wheel is generally not stated, but can have an impact on whether or not a tire will mount properly. If you had a 26 x 12 x 12 for instance, the 12 inch wide tire would fit on a 12 inch wheel, but if the wheel were only 6" wide, the 12" width of the tire would not allow it to seat properly. You would need a wider wheel for the wider tire, even though it is the proper diameter wheel/rim.

I am not trying to confuse you, simply trying to clarify your question so you don't spend $225 and find out that you can't use the tires.

I took your question as you want to put a set of 23x8.50-12 tires on a set of rims that originally had 23x10.5-12 tires on them. I've done that before on my tractor and it will work, I even checked the part numbers of the rims to be sure. I hope I didn't misunderstand the question. Was that what you were planning on doing?

I appreciate the helpful info from both Curlett and Brett. Both responses helped me make a good decision. I got the tires this morning and even have a friend who can use them if I decide I won't. So thanks Brett for the broader understanding, and thanks Curlett for the specific help on this situation. May post pics if they don't go on a "green tractor."

More info about tire sizes and wheels.This link shows the recommended wheel width for various size tires that our tractors typically use:http://www.carlisletransportationproducts.com/product/tires/lawn-garden-golf/Ti16Notice that for a 23x10.50-12 tire a width of 8" is recommended. Except for old tractors ('60's/very early 70's) Simplicity uses a 7" wide wheel for the 23x10.50-12 tires. My early A/C built Homelite has 8" wide rims and the same tire lays flatter on that wheel vs my Sovereigns as can be seen in this pic:

8Inch7InchTireDifferent_0009.jpg

(The Homelite wheel is on the right)IMO, it's not that important for turf tires, but for AG (bar) tires it is.

8Inch7InchTireDifferent_0009.jpg.f3f55b0775df8b3d97f563f87958af39.jpg

I have measured the rear rims on many Allis and Simplicity tractors (I have 13 myself) and so far they all are 7-1/2" regardless of the tire size.

As an FYI, Wheel / rim widths are measured inside of flange to inside of flange, or from where the tire bead actually seats. Depending upon how a wheel is stamped, the outside to outside of the physical wheel vs. the inside dimension of where the tire actually mounts and seats, (usually about 1/2") could vary by as much as 3/4" or more.

Therefore, sometimes with a quick measurement and using an "approximate", people may say they have an 8" wide wheel, for instance, when in fact it is a 7".