Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

part number needed..... Now tire chain questions

curlett

TSC usually has a good stock, but don't wait too long, by November the stock begins to thin out. A decent set of "V-bar" 2 link chains will run about $60-65.

wayne

This might be a stupid question but I never really paid much attention to tire chains before. How many different types of tire chains are there? I know that there are 2 link spacing and 4 link spacing but are there any other things to look for? I assume that there are cheap versions of both kinds so that's why I was just going to order simplicity to get the best quality. OR am I over thinking this and TSC's chains be just as good as Simplicity's but cheaper price? What have you guys used and had good luck with?? Thanks

Yes, this is the site i have bought tire chains for all of my lawn tractors. They are great and very good customer service. I did end up buying a pair of the European diamond style, however i ended up selling them with the tractor. Honestly it is hard to say which was better, 2 link v-bar, or the diamond. I would buy the 2 link v-bar for maximum traction, but the diamond style for a little less bumpy ride.

It's a personal preference.

Unless TSC has changed vendors, "Peerless" was the last brand I purchased there. An ATV dealer is also another option.

The "customer support" desk at Peerless was helpful in giving specific instructions to fit the chains to the tires (number of end links to remove).

This is a link to the "2-link" chains for 23x8.50-12 tires)

http://www.scc-chain.com/tire-chain-finder/traction/tirechains/148

Wayne