Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
jimbighley

101 seat pan question

jimbighley

Does anyone have a picture of the underside of the fender/seat base on a early model tractor? what attaches the seat base to the U shaped support that attaches to the tractor? Mine is welded but when the rear lift goes all the way up, or when i tilt the seat back it hits. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Talntedmrgreen

Correct...the pan is welded to the U-shaped frame. It will hit. Your lift needs to be lowered when you lift the seatpan. There should then be a rest bracket that will hold the seatpan up/back when completely raised. Most roundhood tractors have a dent in the seatpan where it has been damaged from opening while the lift is raised.

GrincheyOne

Jim,

This issue continues thru the product lines up to and including the '69 product year (the latest I have). It lies in the adjustment of the tension at the articulating joints. of the seat mounts. My last "gull wing" seat-pan (from the '66 Big 10) went to Gerg Pointon. One feature on the earlier models, were "stops" at the top of the rear-lift vertical members. I've seen several photos (even of Txx decks) that have had "reliefs cut into the rear of the deck. But in the later models (flat tops) there is a 1/4" thick stiffener welded to the pan. AND THIS WILL BEND along with the deck sheet metal.

This is why on my '68 refurb, I am considering some type of "lid support" to help keep the seat deck in an open position. in lieu of the joints being tightened. It's either that or a support rod, much like those used on auto hoods. Trying to lower the rear lift, may be prevented when there is an implement mounted (IE tiller or grader blade)

Wayne