Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3112H Starting Problems

joelk

So its been sitting outside for 6 months. It seems it is not getting gas. I checked the spark and looks good. Added gas to spark plug hole, starts right up and runs for 5 sec then dies. I checked gas flow on either side of the inline fuel filter and it flows well. Otherwise it just cranks and cranks but no fire. Where do I look or try next? Any help is appreciated.

Could be loose carb intake connection or stuck float

Make sure the two connection points, carb to elbow and elbow to block are tight.

Then tap the carb body with a hammer to see if you can jar float loose and see if you can get it to pop.

I have had luck also by removing air cleaner element and spraying carb cleaner in intake to make engine run and the vibration might loosen float up along with opening high speed jet a tad and after it runs, reset jet.

I start with removing the high speed jet completely. If you do it at the nut behind the screw, you wont mess up your adjustment much.

If gas flows and continues to flow, the float is not stuck.

If there is no flow, tap carb like Bob said, with the jet out. You will see if the float breaks loose when gas flows that way.

If it doesn't break loose that way, you can remove the fuel line from the filter, and blow in it while tapping the carb, or use compressed air if you have it, to help blow the needle loose.

Even if you do have good flow right away, let it flow a minute or two, there may be water present and you will flush it out.

If you have a cracked or old gas cap water can enter your tank and into the carb. Pull the nut off of the bowl while holding the bowl in place and allow bowl to flush out for 15 sec...replace nut and try to start to see if it will keep running.

Good luck.id="size1">

I've had this happen on my B112 a few times. Had fuel going to carb and plenty of spark but wouldn't run without gas in spark plug hole. Mine was actually the butterfly being stuck closed at the air intake. I had to take the two bolts loose tap it it free with a screwdriver and I was in business

I agree, but isn't it funny how often the troubleshooting instructions start with" tap it gently"?:D

My problem is I usually go on to "whack it hard" way too soon.....

Thanks Again - Log splitter tractor lives another year.

It seems the main jet was probably gunked up. When I first tried to adjust it, I couldn't even turn it by hand. After working it, I decided to take it out and let the gas run. It did run right away, so I guess the float was not stuck. I let it run for awhile and put it back it. I also noticed the air filter had turned to mush, so I took that out as well. Poured some gas in the spark plug hole, started up and kept running!!!

Great advice as always. Its funny, after all these years I have never had to touch the carb (slight adjustments), so I learned something again. Footdraggers are definitely the most simple to work on... always makes feel like I know what I am doing.