Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
EdFromMason

Bevel gaer box questions.

EdFromMason

Ok on my 7016 I let it run for a bit and shut it down and check all the fluids in it. Bevel gear box was low. I placed 80/90W lube in it to the full indicator. Ran the tractor a bit more to make some other adjustments. Now the PTO side of the gear box is leaking. Decided to drain the whole thing. Oil/grease or what ever it was came out black and real runny with a slight hint of red that looked and smelled a bit like transmission fluid in the mix. So if they had Trans fluid in it. That is a lot thinner than gear lube. Do you think when I placed the gear lube in it that it forced the lighter duty fluid out the seal. Note it had no leaks and everything worked fine until I topped off the lube. That is when the leak started. Going to put new lube in it to see what happens. I just don't want to break anything.

RayS

Seals may be bad if you filled it to the correct level. If it was low it wouldn`t leak. The PTO side seal can be changed without removing the side plate. So can the input shaft seal. The right side (transmission drive side) will require the side plate to be removed.

EdFromMason

I mowed with it today for the first time and everything worked good except I think the drive belt for the deck is too long. From what I found it was to be a 72" & that was way too long down sized to a 71" but that still looked a bit long. Should the spring that is attached to the handle be stretched a bit when the belt is on. Mine has no tension on it when the belt is on. I can pull on the belt and it has about 1-1&1/2" of play in it. Might be why my blades slowed way down & barely threw the grass a foot away from the deck. Other times when it was on areas where the grass was not long at all or if I drove across the drive way. Sounded like a jet plane and threw or blew the grass a good 5-7' away from the deck. The gear box was good. I did check it and had to add a little but it all worked great.