Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

evan_geno

918H CH18S Carb Issues. Please HELP!

evan_geno

Thank you in advance for any suggestions. I bought the Agco Allis 918H with the Kohler Command CH18 knowing there is a few issues with it and I thought I could just get things fixed. I am now having trouble with the poor idle. Before I rebuilt the carb, it needed to have the choke pulled at high idle to run smooth. I rebuilt the carb and it still has this problem. I have went through the carb several times to make sure there wasn't any crud and I still get the poor idle. I took apart the fuel shutoff solenoid and checked the electrical connections and made sure that it does work. I did notice that the solenoid fuel shutoff doesn't have a spring inside. Not sure if it is supposed to or not, but seems to me it should. This is the only problem I can see. I know there are times when it back fires even when I turn it down to the mid throttle level when I shut the engine off and it still backfires, seems that the solenoid might not work. Could I have a blown head gasket? Do I need to get a new solenoid? A new carb? Not sure where I should go next.

Thanks,

jimmy_g

Solenoid has no spring, magnetic action while powered keeps plunger retracted. Had an issue with my magnum 20 and service book said to remove plunger and re-install body to keep dirt from being sucked into engine until new one can be installed. New one is $75.00. Mine runs so good without it that it has not been replaced.Go to Kohlerengines.com and download your manual,I just looked at it and while yours is in a different configuration than mine the solenoid looks very similar and so is their explanation of operation etc. Btw welcome to the site, I am a newcomer myself and have already talked to some of the nicest most knowledgeable people on any site!.

evan_geno

I tried removing the Solenoid and it still needs to be fully choked to run. dang, i thought I would get lucky and it would smooth out. I'm starting to wonder if I should look for a new Carb.

evan_geno

Ray S. you think perhaps there is some passages that are not clear yet? Is soaking this in an ultrasonic cleaner the only way to make sure it is perfectly clean? Do they make small pins that I can send through passages?

Thanks,