Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7016 & 48" mower deck

EdFromMason

I mowed with it today for the first time and everything worked good except I think the drive belt for the deck is too long. From what I found it was to be a 72" & that was way too long down sized to a 71" but that still looked a bit long. Should the spring that is attached to the handle be stretched a bit when the belt is on. Mine has no tension on it when the belt is on. I can pull on the belt and it has about 1-1&1/2" of play in it. Might be why my blades slowed way down & barely threw the grass a foot away from the deck. Other times when it was on areas where the grass was not long at all or if I drove across the drive way. Sounded like a jet plane and threw or blew the grass a good 5-7' away from the deck. Think I have a cut height issue as well. Some times it scalps the grass. I have the back rollers as low as they will go but it seems the front of the deck is lower than the back. When you raise the deck it raises uneven. Any ideas.

Thank you.

There is an adjustment you can do to the bottom idler pulley on the tractor. It is mounted in a slot and can be loosened up and adjusted. That may be all you need to do.

The spring should be stretched. Pull the lever all the way back.

7016hpto.jpg

The 7016 has the idler pulley on the pivot arm assembly. There is no adjustment slot like on the 7100 series.

7016hpto.jpg.bf64cd9a8acd4c0e8796385188c0d711.jpg

So it sounds like maybe I need to go down to a 70" belt from the tractor to the deck. I will check for a manual on the mower deck thru the Simplicity web sight. My spring has no stretch in it at all when the tension is applied to the pulley system & I can pull the belt a good inch or more when everything is set up. How do I tell what model of mower deck I have. I have 2 of them. The white one that came with the system 7016 and a orange one that came with the 3416H. The white one has a bigger drive pulley on it than the other one has. Other than that I can see no difference in between the two. Can't use the Simplicity site as I don't know what model either deck is.

Thank you for the help thus far.

Here is my findings on the PTO belt sizes. (this is the belt from the cone clutch to the mower deck)

700,3400,7000 series: 42" deck 74"; 48" deck 71"

900,7100 series: 42" deck 80"; 48" deck 79"

Well I think I am going to maybe try a 70" belt. I have a 71" on the 7016 now but the spring (#19) on the pto lever just like the one pictured above has a bit of slack in it. To the point of it looking like it is doing nothing at all. Could it be that someone at some point may have replaced the spring #19 with one that is too long ? Dose anyone know the length of the spring ? I will look it up to see if I can find it on line. My thinking is that when you place the belt on the pto and pull the lever back that it should have a little snap to it. Mine has no snap. Just another thought.

Thank you again for the help.

While I was mowing and after talking to my dad I have come to the conclusion that the 48" deck I am using has a smaller center drive pulley on it. Dad don't know how or why as it was one he picked up somewhere. I also thought of that when putting the 48" deck back together that the 7016 came with. It is a white deck and has a pulley on it that is about half the size bigger. So I might need a bigger pulley.