Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

bigcat19

917H snow thrower belt popping off tension idler

bigcat19

I finally have the engine rebuilt and installed and running good and decided to connect the snow thrower to make sure everything works good before the snow flies this winter and after about maybe 5 min of running the snow thrower the belt pops off the tension idler pulley. I did notice the tension idler pulley and bracket are at an angle when I was installing the belt but figured I would give it a try anyways and figured the belt would eventually pop off due to this as it is riding on the edge of the idler pulley. Here's a few pictures I took the other day to try and show what I have going on and maybe with all the knowledge of everyone here I could get a better understanding of what I need to do/change in order for it to work properly.

snow thrower installed.jpg

snow thrower mounting bracket.jpg

tension idler pulley.jpg

belt hitting steering linkage 2.jpg

57e059d87f604_snowthrowerinstalled.jpg.9b761a22780b151c8a416f965c069c47.jpg

57e059d88dd87_snowthrowermountingbracket.jpg.73ab72ae3c63decb35de0be76936af18.jpg

57e059d89dd24_tensionidlerpulley.jpg.e961b0db5d6bb263f1ad0b97442b3f69.jpg

57e059d8b44bd_belthittingsteeringlinkage2.jpg.4ff6971dccfee59f9e724ef7a0f58e8a.jpg

RayS

There is two mounting holes on the swing arm bracket that the pulley can mount on. One is for the mower deck the other is for the snow blower. The angles are different and can cause problems if not in the correct hole. Also there are belt stops. One on the blower, the hitch and the swing arm. You need the one on the blower and the hitch. I have been using my for 15 years and never needed it on the swing arm.

bigcat19

Thanks Ray, I'm new to this A/C, Simplicity stuff and figured it was something easy but not being really familiar with these yet.

quote:Originally posted by RayS

There is two mounting holes on the swing arm bracket that the pulley can mount on. One is for the mower deck the other is for the snow blower. The angles are different and can cause problems if not in the correct hole. Also there are belt stops. One on the blower, the hitch and the swing arm. You need the one on the blower and the hitch. I have been using my for 15 years and never needed it on the swing arm.

id="quote">
id="quote">

PhanDad

For a Sovereign snowblower setup, I don't believe you should be using the stop circled in white:

snowthrowermountingbracketa.jpg

I think it'll interfere with lifting the blower.Also, make sure the snowblower driven pulley has the hub facing away from the chain driven end. That is the correct position for the single pulley hitch. (For the 2 pulley hitch, the hub faces the other direction). A reversed hub can also cause belt issues. A pic of the correct alignment:

BeltAlignmenta.jpg

snowthrowermountingbracketa.jpg.7554ebf6357316d56da5dadd74f124a5.jpg

BeltAlignmenta.jpg.2dcd1012c2a1765eacb5e1905f761bbe.jpg

Burntime

If the bearing in the idler is going it will momentarily bind and also toss the belt. Assuming the rest is right. I had the same thing happen. I checked the pulley and there was an ever so slight tick. Well, switching the pulley solved the problem.dOd

rich_kildow

I've also had problems where the driven pulley on the snowblower kept walking off the shaft. Before it would go flying down the driveway, it would toss the belt as the alignment got further and further off. That's probably down the list a ways beneath making sure you have the pulley in the right tab, keepers, etc, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

Burntime

Have you used the blower before on that tractor? I have also seen the snowblower drive pulley need to be reversed to get proper alignment. Basically the less stress and redirection on the belt, the better the set up works!

CarlH
quote:On the double pulley hitch setup, the snow blower drive pulley hub (set screw side) is facing inward and on the single pulley hitch, it faces outward.id="quote">
id="quote">

Interesting, I bought a new snowblower (25-30 years ago) for a 7000 series tractor with a (new) 2 pulley hitch. 15 - 20 years ago I moved it to a 7100 tractor adding a (new) 1 pulley hitch. Never changed anything and have used it on several different 7100 tractors. On this snowblower, reversing the driven pulley would misalign the wire belt stop on the driven pulley.

ardisam

Just FYI, I really wouldn't use bolts for the hitch on the blower or mower deck, the hitches really need to pivot. Most of us pins with clips, plus its easier to take them on and off.

bigcat19

Thanks for the info RayS!! I didn't realize there were two locations, after looking at it over the weekend I moved the tension idler puller to the straight tab on the swing arm and it looks a lot better and has helped move the belt away from the steering tie rod. The blower and hitch pulley both have belt stops. I located a 36'-42" hitch parts look up and see there should be one on the tension idler pulley as well per the parts look up.

quote:Originally posted by RayS

id="quote">
id="quote">

bigcat19

No I haven't used this lawn tractor at all until I ran the snow thrower on it. I found it on craigs list back in May and was a 3 hour drive one way to pick it up. It came with a push blade, snow thrower, rear mount leaf vac, trailer, 36" tiller and 48" mower deck with a hole the engine block from the camshaft breaking. The seller wouldn't budge on the price as he had someone offer him $800 for just the attachments so I told him I would take it and he held it for me until I was able to pick it up 4 days later. My dad located me a engine block with all part inside for $20 and for new parts I have piston assemblies, gasket set, one exhaust valve and carb kit into the engine work.

quote:Originally posted by Burntime

Have you used the blower before on that tractor? I have also seen the snowblower drive pulley need to be reversed to get proper alignment. Basically the less stress and redirection on the belt, the better the set up works!

id="quote">
id="quote">

bigcat19

Bolts were the only thing I had around the garage at the time to hook the snow thrower up. I'll purchase pins next time I make a trip to the hardware store.

quote:Originally posted by ardisam

Just FYI, I really wouldn't use bolts for the hitch on the blower or mower deck, the hitches really need to pivot. Most of us pins with clips, plus its easier to take them on and off.

id="quote">
id="quote">

bigcat19
quote:Originally posted by PhanDad

For a Sovereign snowblower setup, I don't believe you should be using the stop circled in white:

snowthrowermountingbracketa.jpg

I think it'll interfere with lifting the blower.Also, make sure the snowblower driven pulley has the hub facing away from the chain driven end. That is the correct position for the single pulley hitch. (For the 2 pulley hitch, the hub faces the other direction). A reversed hub can also cause belt issues. A pic of the correct alignment:

BeltAlignmenta.jpg

id="quote">
id="quote">

hitch group.JPG

Everything I got for it came with the lawn tractor when I purchased it this spring and looking at the 36"-42" hitch parts book it shows spacers on the blower...?? Everything seems to move up and down pretty smooth with them installed... I'll have to remove them and see if anything changes.

57e060f78e4d0_hitchgroup.JPG.4df260dae632605608b483e553547894.JPG