Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 7117

a_sannine

I picked this beauty today , been sitting in a barn for like 2 years , ran good before that , only issue I see the deck is seized.

what's the best way to loosen it with out braking it.

Any recommendations. I didn't fire it due to the rain , but engine looks sound .

thanks

256shmu.jpg

2ptovnb.jpg

i would say take the deck right off, and remove the spindles to see which one(s) it is. Then see if the bearing(s) is salvageable, and soak it in some kind of penetrating oil, or just replace them.

quote:Originally posted by a_sannine

Thanks for the info , iam gonna work on it as soon the weather helps , where can u find that kind of bearings ?

id="quote">
id="quote">Do a lookup on E-bay for 204RR6. You can get 6 for less then $20-, maybe free shipping also.

BLT thanks i'll order them asap .

MikeES, this original paint that is still dirty except being on the trailer on the high way raining , kinda got power washed lol .

Can't wait to wok on it ,

I have

SIMPLICITY 7116

SIMPLICITY 7119

SIMPLICITY 7117

ALLIS CHALMERS 712H BEAST

ALLIS CHALMERS 712S THAT I HATE .

Be aware of any type of grass clippings of leaf clippings and fur or mouse crap anywhere around the engine shroud. You do NOT want to start this engine without 1st making sure there is no mouse house inside the engine tins. Mice will squeeze into the smallest openings to build a nest.If you start and run an engine without clearing the nest...you will toast the engine with excessive heat.

I had the chance to tinker a bit with it today , it had a mice nest under the carb/ under battery , nothing behind the tins , the bad news the starter is bad , doesn't engage all the time ,so I couldn't start it , I have to pop the engine out and replace starter .

The good news the battery took charge and it is a die hard type , unbelievable, sitting all that time and still good .

The bendix is fussy on these engines, the bendix gets a little sticky most don't engage after sitting for even a few months. The starter probably just needs cleaning, and only use very lite oil (like WD40) on the bendix.

BTW, the engine does not need to be fully removed to get the starter out. Remove all engine mount bolts and lift the engine just a few inches, and you can get at the shroud screws, and remove the starter. The driveshaft coupling can handle the deflection.

Mike u were right that bendix indeed fussy , I did exactly what u described above, starter like new but due to sitting the bendix been kinda stuck I freed it and oiled it a bit worked just great , I fired the engine , couple revolutions and it fired like a champ with no smoke or noises , the forward tranny valve been stuck down , I took it off and pushed it out , but it was a pain . gave it a good oil change gas tank flashed and I was riding happy, tomorrow iam gonna work on that deck getting it free :D

The filter won`t hurt anything. I have it on mine and the tire chains won`t even touch it. OEM filters are over priced (two to three times OEM) and they never built there own filters. A NAPA 1307 or WIX 51307 is about a inch or so longer than the "correct" OEM filter.

Just about any filter can be cross referenced to an OEM filter.

I always used the WIX 51307 with no problems , I see pin hole rust in the deck which iam gonna weld , iam taking the whole deck parts ,sand blast and rebuild it.

I know what you guys are saying, but I think its too close to the tire and I feel uncomfortable with a filter like that. Its just my opinion.

Beside the simplicity hydro fluids what to use for the hydrostatic transmission ? as I remember dextron III just wanna confirm since it is been a long time .

thanks

Ryan, the filter is actually quite a bit forward of the widest part of the tire. It doesn`t even come close to hitting even with tire chains on it. The picture is deceiving. The tiller belt goes on with no problems.