Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
peterinbrooklyn

Carb questions

GrincheyOne

Pete,

I had the same problem on my '68 10HP. It sounds as if the float (stuck) is allowing the carb to flood. I would 1st go back to the B&S initial carb settings.

To try to access the float,you have to go through that nasty process of removing the high speed jet, and the emulsion tube.It blocks the access to the float (lower) chamber. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SEPERATE THE UPPER/LOWER CARBS BODIES W/O REMOVING THE JET AND TUBE!

Do you notice any fuel leakage from the vent (under the intake chamber, when you open the fuel shutoff? This a definite indication of float problems.

You may also want to try a chemical clean-out (Seafoam or Brinkman) of any "corn crud" from Ethenol.

Talntedmrgreen

If you have to hold the throttle closed, then it's not adjusted to close on it's own with the control in the idle position. Adjust it and your problem is solved. You may have springs in incorrect positions, the cable itself pulled too taught, etc.

BLT

There is a chance that the elbow from the carb to the block might have loose bolts. When the engine is running, spray some carb cleaner or ether in the two areas and see if it changes the way it runs. If it does bolts need tightening or gaskets are kaput.;)

GrincheyOne

May I add -

Governor to carb setting

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/portal_articles.asp?catid=23&Title=Governor%20to%20to%20carb%20setting&LinkID=243&expand=true&area=3

300421-0020-99 OPS.pdf (pages 5-6)

http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/msowHM-K_ny7tH217FzoPu.pdf

and here is a video by ZippoVarga on

Briggs and Stratton Governor set up and adjustment