Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Legacy

Ronald Hribar

The XL's use a different transmission which drives the mower deck from the rear. The non XL's drive the deck from the front like on a Sunstar.

No attachments are compatible, unless you're talking 540rpm, 3pt attachments. Even then, the OEM early legacy 3pt is quite a bit more limited than the XL. The early Legacy uses the tiny Cat0 arms of the Sunstar era...don't work with much.

Front and mid attachments hitch and drive completely differently.

There is some compatibility between the blower and Sweepster head units, and the front hitch of the XL, and quick-hitch front hitch of the early Legacy. I can take some pics. Basically, the hitches are very different on the tractor end, but the same on the attachment end.

The standard early Legacy front hitch is like a Sunstar hitch...and actually fits both of those types of machines. It will NOT work with XL attachments.

Correct. They probably overlapped in dealerships in 2004, the first model year of XL. Im not sure if they made any 2004 early Legacys though. I do know from shopping, that 50% of the time in ads, the year is very clearly wrong, especially in dealer ads, so it ads to the confusion.

I have seen '1991' Legacys (7 years before they made them), and '2008' Legacys (early versions....again, 5 years AFTER they were discontinued). About the only think you can judge them by is the date on the engine.

Early Legacy: 1998-2003 (2WD only, 5 engine options, 20-25hp)

Legacy XL: 2004-current (2WD & 4WD, three 27hp engine options)