Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How much did Simplicity model 7790 DIESEL cost new

I have a chance to buy a Simplicity model 7790 diesel (20hp. Lombardini diesel)(1986 or less)(48"mower deck) owner says it is worth half of new (he thinks that is 6000 dollars!!). Ineed help on this matter , how much did this hefty unit cost new?

Travis, I had a 920 AC diesel/same thing as Sim. You're right it is an animal to say the least esp. snowblowing! I regret selling it now however when I sold it 2 yrs. ago I got $2350 for it.$3000 seems a bit high,I would say in the low 2's it is worth.BTW the Lombardini model 10LD-400-2 is really only 18.5 hp Good luck! dlc

I recently purchased an AC 920, exact same as 7790 for $2,500. The tractor is a 1985 and was seldom used. It came with a grass catcher, 42 inch deck and tiller all in good shape. The seller wanted $3,000, but what the seller wants never really matters.

I think the low 2's is a reasonable price based on condition. (Note: I almost had to replace my injector pump for a cost of $600. gulp....). I am as far from a tractor expert as you get. I do know, however, that the tractor and all attachments cost $7,700 back in 1985, but that is of little relavance.

What I have learned: 1) this is a good unit, however, Lombardini parts not the easiest to find. 2)The tractor has lots of torque, and really satisfies the testosterone urge. 3) some say they are noisy and have vibration issues, but I haven't noticed significant problems with either.

If you are in the negotiation phase, I would accentuate the issue that few diesels were sold, and consequently parts are hard to find. Good luck. HankD

Added note: If you would like to convince yourself to purchase (regardless of common sense), go to the gallery section, click on the Simplicity 7790 photo, and download it as wallpaper for your desktop.