Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

5212 transmission ?

volksman79

Hello,

I just got a nice 5212 in pretty good shape. The only problem is the transmission seams to surge as you are driving. It is not the engine for that keeps running strong. Any ideas of what it could be? I do have an AC 611 with a blown engine. Would the transmission fit the 5212? They are both 5 speed manual transmissions.

Thanks

If you have product numbers starting with 169XXXX, which should be located on lower left frame rail or below instrument panel, you can download the parts books for comparison.

But surging could be more of a belt problem, I am thinking.

That is what I think. I just got it yesterday and I am going to give a good look over tonight. It runs great and is a little bigger that the 611 I have. but it looks like all of the other parts match up. I think I may have lucked out on this one. Only paid $150 for it and it has 4 new tires and three extra brand new Simplicity blades for the mower. I'll try and post some pics later.

Thanks again

1st be sure to follow the "drive belt adjustment procedure in the owners manual. If this does not remedy the surges, then follow the governor adjustments given in "governor to carb setting" (left column of home page.

Wayne

How easy is it to change the transmission fluid on these guys? Any recommendations on type of fluid to use. 5 speed manual. I use low detergent Hydro in My Ferguson TO-30 that I just rebuilt the entire engine on but it is a monster of it own.

Thanks

I just downloaded the service manual. I will see how it goes when I check it out. I will give it a good tune-up as well. The governor may be part of it but it feels like the surging is coming from under the seat. The engine sounds like it keeps running strong when the tractor is more like pulsing I guess than surging.

So the trani is non serviceable? Good to know. If so then I am glad I have a good one in my 611. Hopefully it is just a belt or a pulley.

I had surging issues with a few 42 and 52 12s over the years. The tractors I had were ones that sat a long time with no use.

What I did was jack up the rear and block it up. I started the tractor and ran it for 15 to 20 mins in gear. I also ran it it reverse for a bit. For some reason this simple trick greatly reduced my surging issues.Not sure why it helped but it worked for me.

Good luck.id="size1">

It does kind of feel like sludge. The guy I bought if from only used a few times and stopped because of the surging. So it sat all summer. Plus who knows how long it sat before he got it. It is in really nice shape no rust at all so it must have sat inside. Thanks for the tip I will give it a shot after I make sure all of the belts and brakes are adjusted properly.

Make sure as the tractor is up and running...stop one side on the tractor tire from spinning thereby putting all of the power to one wheel. Then do the other wheel.

As I said, I noticed a huge improvement in my tractors.

Hope this works for you.

The "Permanent Lube" in the 5 speed peerless will coagulate some with lake of use. My serge felt the same (under seat), but even with a brand new carb, it was the governor setting. They will also "surge" when the fuel is getting low in the tank, even stall on inclines.

quote:Originally posted by BLT

If you have a Peerless transmission, my guess, it is permanently lubed with bentonite grease.

id="quote">
id="quote">And it is messy stuff...

Dscn0763.jpg

This is the interior of a Peerless 801 5 speed transaxle.(top cover, brake rotor, and diferential removedThat black "pudding" is the grease.

Dscn0763.jpg.18b9eebb765293a9b12c8f0da8649af0.jpg