Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Weight for Winter 7116

SimpleAlex

Hey All,

What are the best options for rear weight for a 7116 for snow plowing/throwing?

I'm planning on filling up the tires with windshield washer fluid, but don't know if I should look around for some wheel weights or possibly some sort of suitcase weight attachment or weight box.

Thanks.

I have a set of Bolens cast iron rear weights with 2 link chains and they are plenty. I don't have any hills but I've never even come close to getting bogged down or stuck.

Does weight on the rear lift or a bracket impact the drive line any differently than weight on the wheels? I'm thinking rotating weight vs "sprung" weight, although we don't have suspension to make that distinction.

quote:Originally posted by DanDI go with 300# on the seat.id="quote">
id="quote">A tad lighter, but results are the same no problem.dOd But for snow tires I have ATV tires.

Snowwinter12%2022%2013%20c.jpg[/br]

It kinda depends what you're planning to do with the tractor...push, blow, sweep? I prefer to push, and weight is needed to moderate spinning. Likewise, maneuvering a raised blower or broom can help make your tail lite, but they give little resistance when on the ground.

I didnt used to need any weight when I had a flat drive. Now I have a slope to the road, and without chains, I have to tow the tractor back to the top with even the slightest snow or ice. I can even spin them when wet from rain....the type of tire has made no difference for me in this scenario. Likewise, you can't push a snowbank with a blade, on bare rubber.

With chains, I can still slip a bit on my hill, and so I put about 50lbs per wheel, and will hang a stinger or whatever is laying around, on the back. If I have weight, I'll use them, but about a 100lbs gets me up my hill without spinning/slipping. I need more weight for heavier front attachments though. When running a sweepster, I'd hang a bit more.

On my larger tractors, the front attachments are VERY heavy, and weight is a necessity to counter them when they are raised. It's no fun to have to pull a big tractor free with a pickup truck when you're just trying to get work done. Happen to bury the truck, and you may as well head inside for a beer and wait for spring.

battbox.JPG

I've done this modification to a couple of tractors. It allows me to use any battery that's available, it adds some weight, and cleans up the area under the hood. Just gotta remember it's back there!

battbox.JPG.0896644ac37d109ab0ba3f8c03cfa2b8.JPG

I've used a thrower in the past, but got my hands on a plow this year . I'd like to start the season pushing snow and move to the thrower when things either get too deep or I run out of places to put the snow.

I've got a pair of chains which worked well last year with no weight, but I'd like to minimize spinning as much as possible to keep the driveway damage to a minimum. It seems to me that more weight = less spinning.