Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
goatfarmer

K301

goatfarmer

I have a tired Kohler K301 on my AC712H. I might have a deal worked out on this one: http://sheboygan.craigslist.org/grd/4704811036.html

What are the differences in the Kohler engines for, say a Deere, or a Case, from a Simplicity. I haven't heard what this engine is from, just trying to cover the bases before a 4 hour trip.

goatfarmer

Thanks for the reply's. If it doesn't drop into the 712H, I can probably fab it to fit the 2110. Either way, if the trade works out, I'll be into the rebuilt right.

SmilinSam

Looks like a direct replacement Kenny. Even has the right flywheel for the driveshaft adaptor.

Charging system appears to be the older type that uses the larger aluminum finned regulators as it has the stacked 3 prong plug.

Basically Cub Cadet, Deere, Case and some Wheel Horse tractors generally used a K301A. The "A" blocks don't work in Simplicity applications because the pans are shallow and bolt on from the underside and have no flanges to mount into Simplicity/AC tractors.(although there are members here that have made adaptors to make them work) However, some of the later Deere versions could use both pans because the blocks also came with the flanges cast onto them as well as tapped holes in the underside to mount the A block pans.

The Cub Cadet Kohlers also used a different flywheel that will not accept the 4 bolt driveshaft adaptors Simplicity uses.

goatfarmer

Well, after 605 miles, and about 12 hours, the rebuilt K301 is sitting in the garage. You might remember some Case attachments I picked up last spring in trade for a case of beer. I traded the attachments for the engine straight up. So the basic cost of this engine was $16.99. Not counting driving time, gas, etc. But we made a couple of more stops, and made the trip worthwhile.